MTBR Demi-God

What Else Do I Need For 9-Speed Upgrade

I am in the process of upgrading a bike to a nine speed configuration. The bike currently runs on an eight speed drive train.

This is what my intended shopping cart looks like:

Cassette: Shimano XT CS-M760
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT M761 Top-Normal SGS
    Shifters: Shimano XT SL-M751 Rapidfire
    Chain: Shimano HG-93 9SP

Could you please tell me if this is enough to convert to the 9speed drivetrain? My main concern is the 8-speed crank that is installed on the bike. Will that be compatible with this new configuration? What about the 8-speed front derailleur?

Thanks a lot!

Freshly Fujified

You'll be fine

By almost all accounts, there should be no problem in using the same cranks and front derailleur from your 8 speed drivetrain on your 9 speed drivetrain. The only potential issues would be as the result of excesive wear on the chainrings of the cranks, and possibly some minor fine tuning of the front derailleur (more than likely not, though).

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    I use 8 speed chain rings with 9 speed cassette and chains, so you should be fine. As Clyde points out you may find your chain rings are worn. I usually have to replace these when I change the chain and cassette.

Tim

MTBR Demi-God
    Thanks a lot Bob and Tim. Its good to know that they will be compatible.

I don't believe that the chainrings are replaceable- which is very unusual. Its a Shimano nonseries crankset (FC M09, I think). I tried to look for the bolts that I have on my XT crankset, but I could find any. Is there a different way to remove the rings that I am missing out?

Thanks a lot!

I Love my Rize

Not an upgrade

Actually you are downgrading not upgrading. 8 speed is WAY smoother, tougher and WAY more reliable than 9 speed. Their only advantage is most of the new high end parts aren't made in 8 speed much anymore but there is still some killer high end stuff built new and it's made by Sram.
    Early to bed early to RIZE makes a man healthy, wealthy <(scratch that) and wize.

RIGHTY on a LEFTY

MTBR Demi-God
    I agree. My other bike has a nine speed, and I have found it to be less reliable than the 8 speed. I don't really need the extra cog. What prompted me to switch to nine speed are the availibility of spare parts.

Once I broke the right shifter pod, and I had to search a lot to get a decent 8-speed shifter. I am very sure that I will end up breaking another part on the bike soon, and I just don't want to go through the hassle of finding a good 8-speed part.

Moreover, it gives me some play-time... because of the freaking weather here in buffalo (we started getting snow again), I cannot get any riding done!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Is it possible to use a 9-speed derailleur and shifter with an 8-speed cassette? I was thinking of upgrading to Sram X-7, but my 8-speed cassette still has life in it and I don't want to get rid of it. Can I successfully limit the 9-speed to an 8-speed?
    The mediator between the head and the hands must be the heart

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    No, The spacing is different.