Kathleen in AZ

what do all the cool kids run now... SRAM or Shimano?

For a long time, Shimano was the way to go then somewhere in the mid-2000s SRAM was the new best-in-class. It's been about 5 years since I've built up a new bike. I'm about to splurge and wonder what is the prefered drive train for a geared mtb in 2013?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Flip a coin

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

This one of those topics where everyone probably has a different opinion based on there experience. For me i would go shimano shadow plus. I had a xt drivetrain in the early 2000's that i never had any trouble out of, when it was time for a new bike i wanted to try something different and went sram. It worked well for about a year and the rear derailleur pivot wore out. Now im using a shimano shadow+ (zee RD to be specific and im really liking the overal quality and the clutch eliminates chain slap which is awesome.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Hard choice to make after 4 years on Sram XO 9 speed I really loved it. Sram shifted faster in the rear and with much more precision. Never had any trouble with it.
    It did take a while to get used to the push push thumb action after years of thumb & index finger Shimano shifting but Sram was actually smoother front and rear shifting than my XT 9 speed on another bike (I eventually changed that bike to X9).

Today I'm on Shimano XT 10 speed (came with bike). It's nice but still can get some slow rear & front shifts. Both companies have the "clutch" rear der so it keeps your chain tension up.

You'll have to test both systems to feel the little differences- since you are already a cool kid your drive train wont matter!

Kathleen in AZ
    I actually like the idea of not doing all my shifting with the thumbs anymore. Arthritis is getting hard to ignore any more, and my thumbs have been especially cursed. So, Shimano triggers or even Sram twisties are top on my list.
    Last edited by DurtGurl; 06-05-2013 at 03:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

RE: what do all the cool kids run now... SRAM or Shimano?

XX1. It's revolutionary (for me )

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

It really comes down to which company's ergonomics you prefer. Shimano offers the ability to shift with your thumbs or fingers, Sram offers thumb only or gripshift. As a thumb shifter, I prefer the feel of SRAM, but if Shimano were the only choice, I would adapt in a ride.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    All the cool kids are riding fixies!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I think Shimano brakes are better but the gearing is much a muhness, I prefer to Shimano but if I was to do a new bike at the moment I'd probably go 1x11 so would have to be SRAM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    XX1 drivetrain with XT brakes. Best of both worlds.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I just went from shimano to sram so sram. I mainly switched just out of curiosity. I wanted to try gripshifts plus they are a hell of a lot cheaper at least in 9 speed form than triggers, $200+ for x0 triggers vs $60 for x0 grips hmmm. I like them fine so far.

thecentralscrutinizer
    I ride both. XTR 970 on one bike, XO 10-spd on the other. I still like the feel of Shimano better, but obviously can live with either.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

addicted to chunk
    I've had better luck with shimano so that's what I stick with. I do use the sram attack grip shifters because not much other choice if you want twisties.

Every broken chain I've had was always a SRAM, so I refuse to use them now. KMC or shimano, zero issues & KMC can be found on amazon for like $12 each so easy choice.
    Riding.....