Reformed car junkie
    Sep 2004

What crankset would you ride?

Im in the process of picking parts for my race bike. This bike will be used for my races, mainly 24 hour races) this year and for many years to come. I want to build a light weight bike, but if it weights 23 rather then 22 but its noticibly more durable id rather go with that. I dont want to find out I toasted my BB bearings at 3am.

This is going to go on a single speed bike(it might see some 1x9 usage, but its still a single chainring application. So how they shift is 100% worthless to me. The 3 i have picked as canidates are below:

FSA Afterburner mega exo
    Truvativ Stylo GXP
    Race Face Deus X-type.

I have square taper race face cranks on my Surly 1x1 now. And i really like them. Seem plenty stiff, the frame will probably flex before the cranks do anyway. I was planning on the Race Face from the begining, but why limit my options?
    Im really intrested in bearing life as Im sure all 3 will fit my needs.

Edit: Forgot one thing, no carbon. IMO a crankarm is a stupid place to put carbon.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    add shimano XT to the mix - i presume they would work on a SS.

i have a few FSA cranksets - MTB and road - and am very happy with them, including carbon ones. the MegaExo BB seems strong and with good seals. mind you, not sure what version comes on the Afterburner. i have the V-Drive (cheaper) and K-Force (more expensive) versions, both with different BBs. the K-Force has the BB-9000 BB which adds an internal hollow spacer joining the bearings for added rigidity (this is in addition to the external hollow spacer joining the cups); i can only presume this will add some reliability as well.

i've read some reports of Truvativ's GXP BB being relatively weak, but no idea how true this is. those users may have been extremely harsh on the cranksets.

only good things heard about RF Deus, and shimano XT.

so for what it's worth, i would personally cross off the Truvativ, but consider the XT.

[size=1]
    - Giant NRS Composite - Giant XTC2 - Giant TCRCzero - Giant OCR1 -
    [/size]
    [size=1]- nothing stock here - move right along now -
    - Geelong area, Australia -
    [/size]

mechmann_mtb
    XT are good.

LX aren't far off from the XT and are quite a bit cheaper.

i have one set of XTR but they have wacky BCD. really big bling to get the ones like Aquaholic has on his AquaJones SS (heavily modified)

FSA are supposedly great cranks.

i would ride the above. next in line might be the RaceFace. Truvative is way down on my list.

Reformed car junkie
    Sep 2004
    hhhmmmm. I probably should I specified one more thing, No shimano. they made good stuff, dont get me wrong. But I like to minimize using of their parts and support the smaller companys who often times make just as good if not better of a product. That being said.

Sounds like truvativ is out of the running now. Read some reviews and not to many were super positive.

Thanks for the opinions.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    Quote Originally Posted by SandmanLJS
    Im in the process of picking parts for my race bike. This bike will be used for my races, mainly 24 hour races) this year and for many years to come. I want to build a light weight bike, but if it weights 23 rather then 22 but its noticibly more durable id rather go with that. I dont want to find out I toasted my BB bearings at 3am.

This is going to go on a single speed bike(it might see some 1x9 usage, but its still a single chainring application. So how they shift is 100% worthless to me. The 3 i have picked as canidates are below:

FSA Afterburner mega exo
    Truvativ Stylo GXP
    Race Face Deus X-type.

I have square taper race face cranks on my Surly 1x1 now. And i really like them. Seem plenty stiff, the frame will probably flex before the cranks do anyway. I was planning on the Race Face from the begining, but why limit my options?
    Im really intrested in bearing life as Im sure all 3 will fit my needs.

Edit: Forgot one thing, no carbon. IMO a crankarm is a stupid place to put carbon.

Thanks in advance.
    wow....sounds like we are on the same page in terms of our next bike!

anyway, from my limited experience and given what you say above, I can recommend FSA. I did not have good experience with the RaceFace external bearings personally.

having said that, since you really are (appropriately) concerned with bottom brackets, why not go with the bombproof Phil Wood? I currently run square taper steel Phil Wood BBs on 2 of my bikes and will probably put that same BB on my 1x9 bike.

as far as cranks, if not FSA for outboard bearings, I am partial to White Industries ENO cranks which I currently have on 2 bikes with the Phil BBs and will be putting this same setup on the 1x9. ONLY downside in my opinion is that you can't run a bashguard on the ENOs but if not a problem for you, at least consider them.

keep me posted!

cheers

Elitest thrill junkie
    But I like to minimize using of their parts and support the smaller companys who often times make just as good if not better of a product. That being said.
    Hmm, well truvativ would be even more out of the running. SRAM has swallowed up sachs, avid, truvativ, and rockshox. I wouldn't consider any of the sram companies to be "little guys" anymore.

There are other's though, middle burn, fsa, etc.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Reformed car junkie
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle

anyway, from my limited experience and given what you say above, I can recommend FSA. I did not have good experience with the RaceFace external bearings personally.

having said that, since you really are (appropriately) concerned with bottom brackets, why not go with the bombproof Phil Wood? I currently run square taper steel Phil Wood BBs on 2 of my bikes and will probably put that same BB on my 1x9 bike.

as far as cranks, if not FSA for outboard bearings, I am partial to White Industries ENO cranks which I currently have on 2 bikes with the Phil BBs and will be putting this same setup on the 1x9. ONLY downside in my opinion is that you can't run a bashguard on the ENOs but if not a problem for you, at least consider them.

keep me posted!

cheers

Jayem, you raise a good point. SRAM isnt a small company anymore, but I do like their products. I guess its more that everybody runs shimano, and I dont like being like everybody. Ex. I could have prodealed a litespeed road bike, but instead I paid almost full retail for a Scott. Why, its the bike I wanted and I have yet to see another scott on the road, but in my first ride I saw 3-4 litespeeds. Im weird, i know.

FoShizzle, I have though about the ENO/Phil combo. Not being able to run a bashguard is fine with me, dont use one now, didnt plan on it for this bike. 2 downsides, 1 i cant get a deal on the phil BB, the cranks i could so price wise it would probably be about the same. and 2 cant get them in black. Stupid reason i know but like I said before im weird.

From reading the reviews the Race Face x-type bb seems like a ginormous PITA. and something im not sure I want to deal with in the dark if the bearings decide to go.

FSA seems like they make some really nice stuff. The FSA parts(stem, base bar and clip ons) on my GF's tri bike seem really nice, and well made. Plus I have heard good things about the company.

Thanks for the input everyone, feel free to continue to chime in. Its kinda looking like depnding on price its down to FSA vs. Eno/phil. Thanks.

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Although it is a Shimano, on my SS I put on a NOS XT M737 180mm crankset. IMO, these are some of the finer square taper cranks out there for the money. Look sweet too. I used the chainrings on a geared hardtail and put on a Spot ring and bashgaurd. Very happy with the set up. Jones Bikes sells lots of great new old stock shimano stuff on Ebay. Crankset was $90. Rings alone are close to that. This worked for me since I use 8 spd stuff on my other bikes.

The devil is an angel too

FoShizzle, I have though about the ENO/Phil combo. Not being able to run a bashguard is fine with me, dont use one now, didnt plan on it for this bike. 2 downsides, 1 i cant get a deal on the phil BB, the cranks i could so price wise it would probably be about the same. and 2 cant get them in black. Stupid reason i know but like I said before im weird.
    If the price of the BB is the problem, you can get a Shimano -I know, Shimano, what can you do!- square taper for close to nothing, and they are pretty good stuff. UN-73's are great bottom brackets for the money -you can get them for about 20 bucks.
    Art is the most intense mode of individualism that the world has known.

Oscar Wilde

Reformed car junkie
    Sep 2004

keep me posted!

cheers
    I think i remember reading your thread in the SS forum. Did you decide what cranks your going with yet? Im reallying thinking I might end up with the FSA's at this point. I took at quick look at the Phil BB prices and I think just the BB would be more $ then what I could get the fsa crank set for. But I need to look into that as it is a very viable option.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    I think i remember reading your thread in the SS forum. Did you decide what cranks your going with yet? Im reallying thinking I might end up with the FSA's at this point. I took at quick look at the Phil BB prices and I think just the BB would be more $ then what I could get the fsa crank set for. But I need to look into that as it is a very viable option.
    not sure which thread you might have seen.....currently, I have cranks for all my bikes.

Probably true regarding the Phils being expensive.....but you should be able to get them for about $80 or so which really is not bad given they will likely last forever and more importantly, give you the piece of mind it sounds like you are looking for given your comments about wanting a good BB.

cheers

Reformed car junkie
    Sep 2004
    not sure which thread you might have seen.....currently, I have cranks for all my bikes.

Probably true regarding the Phils being expensive.....but you should be able to get them for about $80 or so which really is not bad given they will likely last forever and more importantly, give you the piece of mind it sounds like you are looking for given your comments about wanting a good BB.

cheers
    Maybe it was some one elses thread you added too. Either way I need to check pricing and weight of everything. I have some time though, frames not done yet and im not going to have the $$ to get everything for a little bit of time.

Thanks.

If you like your current cranks why change? Just get a new bb, if money's an issue get a Shimano UN73, if not go for the Phil Wood.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Reformed car junkie
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    If you like your current cranks why change? Just get a new bb, if money's an issue get a Shimano UN73, if not go for the Phil Wood.
    The ones im asking about are going on a new bike. The only reason I would change my current set up is to get a lighter BB, have a un53. shimano i know, but it was cheep, i needed one and i didnt have the opnion of shimano then that i do now.

The truvativs got a very favrable review in Dirt rag this last issue. I know take those with a grain of salt. but they loved them.

Thanks all.