I endorse self propulsion

what are the consequences for shortening a chain?

i'm having an issue with the chain rubbing my rear tire. this happens in the small and middle rings and in the biggest 3 or 4 cogs. it usually happens on a downhill or flat section when i'm not pedalling. my thinking is that the chain is flopping around b/c its too long, and if i take a link out, it would tighten it up a bit. i measured the chain using the method of wrapping around the biggest cog and the large chain ring + 2 links, and it seems to be about right. i guess i just want to know if taking a link out would keep the chain from swinging as much, and what would be the consequences of taking a link out?
    "Pops trippin', he want me to ask for my bike back. You know I wouldn't trip."

mtbr member
    your drivetrain could sort of jam up if you used the big/big combo - i.e., the wouldn't be enough chain to use that combo, but if you tried to shift there it could get ugly. No biggie if you can remember not to do that.

bigger problem, IMO is on some rear suspension frames the chainstay gets longer through the stroke, so if the suspension compresses hard, you could find yourself with too little chain for the gear you are already in (and that works fine most of the time). I believe a lot of the "JRA" Sram derailleur failures people post on here are due to this.