Thread: What chain oil?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

What chain oil?

What chain oil should I be using? And how often. I mainly ride on the street but will be doing some trails......some specs if it helps

Front derailleur: Microshift M-20
    Rear derailleur: Shimano ALTUS
    Cog set: Shimano 7-speed (14-28)
    Chain: KMC-Z51

meatier showers
    Quote Originally Posted by presta24 View Post
    What chain oil should I be using? And how often. I mainly ride on the street but will be doing some trails......some specs if it helps

Proper lube depends a lot on the climate where you live. In the summer I use a thin or dry lube but I live in the Pacific NorthWET where we experience epic mud, grit and lake-size puddles this time of year.

So in winter I use synthetic motorcycle crankcase oil. I often have to reapply lube after every ride; depends on how much it rains. If I don't employ something with a powerful ability to adhere to the chain, it'll sometimes be gone before a long ride has ended. The synthetic sticks to the metal. A quart will cost about the same as one of those little bottles of "bike specific" lube at the LBS but the synthetic quart will last much longer and bond with the metal chain better.

In the summer, I don't enjoy petroleum based lubes as much because they attract dust and grit. That's when I use a lube that's thin, mostly propellant which evaporates but leaves behind a thin coating of lube. Because there's no rain / puddles / mud trying to wash the lube out of my chain during the dry season, a thin coat works.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    so in the summer when its dry use that "dry lube"? In a spray can or the squeeze bottle? And for wet weather the syn you were talking about.

meatier showers
    Yes, synthetic motor oil in the winter.
    Thin lube in the summer.
    I use a squeeze bottle.
    Progold Prolink is a good summertime lube but expensive. Good news is you don't need as much in the summer. It's the rain & hose that removes the lube in the winter.
    There are wax-based "dry" lubes that you put on wet, then the liquid evaporates and leaves the waxy residue which remains to lubricate. I have one of these at home (got some sample bottles at a 24 hour race last fall) but I can't remember the brand name. It's from Australia. White Lightning is another brand of this type of lube but I've personally never used White Lightning.

--sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org
    Remember who
    you wanted to be.

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    Jaybo... quit *****ing and move to Texas

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by presta24 View Post

Lube frequently and sparingly....let soak and wipe of excess.

On a particularly dusty ride we lubed every two hours.....

On clean rides I can go weeks...

The chain will let you know when it needs it....it gets slow and draggy.

mtbr member
    I really like the DuMonde Tech (blue) lube. It's great for use in all conditions and lasts a long time. In fact, the instructions tell you not to re-apply until you start hearing the drive train making noises. Lasts longer than Prolink Progold in dusty conditions, and stays on the chain better in wet/muddy conditions. It can gunk up the drive train if you don't follow the instructions, but no more so than any other wet lubes.
    "Got everything you need?"