Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

What is the best Chain Lube for wet conditions?

I've used a lot of different lubes over the years but I can't say as I've typically been overly satisfied with too many of them when the conditions start to get wetter. I know the wax-based ones are not too good in the wet but I get mixed results with others as well. I've always heard Tri-Flow is good for these conditions but in the past whenever I used it I always hated how quickly the drivetrain got gunked up with it. It is certainly not one of the cleaner lubricants out there to use. What are some opinions on this topic?

Linoleum Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by Burkeman
    I've used a lot of different lubes over the years but I can't say as I've typically been overly satisfied with too many of them when the conditions start to get wetter. I know the wax-based ones are not too good in the wet but I get mixed results with others as well. I've always heard Tri-Flow is good for these conditions but in the past whenever I used it I always hated how quickly the drivetrain got gunked up with it. It is certainly not one of the cleaner lubricants out there to use. What are some opinions on this topic?
    Every wet lube I have used has gunked up the chain quickly. Usually the wetter the conditions it's aimed at the quicker it gunks up the chain. Don't even try the Extreme condition lubes...

That said, Rock 'N Roll lube is a wax based lube that holds up a lot better than either Pedro's or White Lightning. A little more pricey, and hard to find at your LBS, but it's about the closest I've come to a clean, mix condition lube.

All 26.5" all the time!
    I've been happy with the green cap lube from Finish Line. Use a drip bottle and wipe the chain with a rag several times afterwards. Drivetrain gunk is just a fact of life, and cleaning it is like cleaning a toilet -- a little housekeeping effort every day keeps things tidy, but ignoring it will result in a disgusting task you'll want to avoid all together.

No, that's not phonetic
    Rock N Roll Extreme does make for a very clean drivetrain in wet conditions. The chain also stays very quiet. It provides seemingly no rust-protection though, so if you put your bike away wet (as I often do in the winter) the chain will look nasty later. Like any lube in wet conditions, you have to reapply often. I've tried a lot of stuff and the R N R works best so far.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I use one well placed teensy little drop of oil on each roller (I place the drop on the edge of roller next to the inside of the side plate - it gets sucked right in where needed). I use Shimano Hypospitt which comes with a needle applicator.

My drive train stays surprisingly clean - cleaner than when I used white lightening and a few other fancy lubes. It doesn't collect much dirt (unless your ride in dry sand) and stays quiet.

I do clean my chain every couple of rides and I'm sure that gunk would accumulate if I didn't...

Elitest thrill junkie
    Dumonde Tech Lite.

Not a wax.

Not an oil.

Polymer based.

Amazing stuff. Try it.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I recently tried a bunch of different chain lubes (Pro Gold, White Lightning, Tri-flow, Boeshield T-9, Rock-n-Roll, etc.) I found that the "cleaner" lubes, while being okay for dry conditions, did not hold up well in wet conditions. ProGold was the "cleanest" lube (thin, easy to apply, did not gunk up at all) but it did not hold up well in wet conditions at ALL. The "typical" wax based lubes tend not to last too well in wet, muddy conditions either. The one lube that in my experience had the best overall performance was Boeshield T-9.

Boeshield is not as clean as the cleanest lubes (like ProGold) but it's really not too bad -- it does get a little gunky in moderate conditions, but it's not nearly as bad as other lubes in this respect, and in dry conditions it actually stays quite clean. Of all the ones I tried, it held up the best in sloppy conditions -- it's the only one that could get a bit muddy and still remain lubed after the mud washed off and/or dried. The other lubes all resulted in a squeaking chain after sloppy conditions, but not the Boeshield.

While my tests were by no means "scientific," I did try to give each lube a decent amount of time before formulating any opinion. I used each lube over a period of time while riding in the same general areas, sometimes going through more than one bottle before switching. In the end, the Boeshield ended up being the one I am currently sticking with. It penetrates well, it's a water displacer and rust preventer, it lasts longer than other lubes, it stays clean in dry conditions and decently clean in sloppier conditions, and it holds up well in sloppy conditions.

The one thing that I 'thought' would be a problem with Boeshield is that you're supposed to let it dry for a few hours, then wipe the excess off before using it. Apparently, the solvent that is uses in order to achieve good penetration takes a while to dry. I thought this would be a problem, but it turns out that it's not hard to get in the habit of cleaning or lubing the chain AFTER a ride rather than right before. That said, I did use the lube a time or two without giving it the full drying time and it still seemed to work okay -- it just got a little more dirty.

There are a lot of differing opinions on chain lube, so you need to try them yourself to see which works best for you given your specific needs and riding conditions. I'd recommend you give Boeshield a try.

Larry

No, that's not phonetic
    I've tried Boeshield and agree it's pretty good. I do get more goo buildup than with R 'n R Extreme though. It seems to lube a bit better and longer with a little less rust at the expense of getting messy over time. It's a tradeoff.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I ride in mixed conditions everyday. Try the T-9 and I feel you will be happy. As posted earlier you need to lube your chain the night before or several hours in advance to let your chain dry. After your chain is dry wipe off the excess and ride.

mtbr member

Good job! Ky-jelly

Quote Originally Posted by Burkeman
    Try it on your girlfriend too, it is great! Astrolube is good but harder to get...
    Sit and spin my ass...

Do It Yourself
    The key to dry lubes is to let them DRY. Not 5 minutes like it says on the bottle but more like minimum of overnight. I see people all the time at the trailhead putting on ProLink or whatever right before they ride. While better than nothing, that's not how it was intended to be applied. Dry lubes need to dry.

That said, nothing last forever. So if you need to apply right before you ride, or in the middle of the ride, nothing is going to work better than some oil. Finishline Cross Country, winter chainsaw oil, whatever. That other stuff isn't going to stick.

The last word of advice is to completely wipe off your chain after you lube. Any lube on the outside of the chain is just going to pick up dirt and make a mess but adds nothing to keeping the links moving.
    Long Live Long Rides

banned
    This goes to show that lubes won't work universally well or poorly for every rider. I use Ice Wax and love it, while I've used the Rock n Roll lubes and found them to be nothing special.

The Ice Wax keeps the chain very clean, especially in our muddy, sandy conditions. It lasts just under 30 miles per application in my usage. Generally, it will last around 20 in hot conditions, while it lasts closer to 30 in the winter.

mtbr member
    I live in North Vancouver and have been using Progold for 4 years or so. It outperforms any other lube I've tried hands down for any type of weather conditions. As someone mentioned further up the thread, apply any lube the night before the ride and wipe off excess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    This goes to show that lubes won't work universally well or poorly for every rider. I use Ice Wax and love it, while I've used the Rock n Roll lubes and found them to be nothing special.

The Ice Wax keeps the chain very clean, especially in our muddy, sandy conditions. It lasts just under 30 miles per application in my usage. Generally, it will last around 20 in hot conditions, while it lasts closer to 30 in the winter.

Weird huh?

bar and chain oil

I've used this for the last 2 months. It's been pretty wet and gunky up here in Santa Cruz for the past couple weeks. (in the mountains anyway) Lots of mud gunk to crap up yer chain.

Bar and chain oil, available from any hardware store. It's a super viscosity clear oil, mineral based, used mainly to lube chainsaw chains. The stuff at room temp is similar to honey.

Put it on by submerging the chain in a container and lift it out. You won't be able to drip or pour it on the chain...it's too thick. The oil wont run off when you lift it out, you'll need to wipe it off with your fingers back into the container. Then work it in well, and dry the chain as much as possible with a rag.

The stuff held up real well in some very wet goopy rides. Yer chain is still gonna turn black, so save the trauma and buy a black chain to begin with.

To replace, I use a 5 times concentrate orange oil liquid, and just pour a few ounces in a plastic milk jug, drop in the chain and shake it up. Take out and wipe with a rag....pretty clean...then dunk it in the oil and start all over.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I've tried Boeshield and agree it's pretty good. I do get more goo buildup than with R 'n R Extreme though. It seems to lube a bit better and longer with a little less rust at the expense of getting messy over time. It's a tradeoff.
    I can't remember exactly how R'n'R compared to Boeshield for goo buildup, but I do know that Boeshield definintely had better lubrication performance. As far as goo goes, I'd say that Boesheild is a bit messier compared to the cleanest "dry" lubes, but it's a lot cleaner than wet lubes.

The key to dry lubes is to let them DRY. Not 5 minutes like it says on the bottle but more like minimum of overnight.
    Boeshield recommends 2 hrs. I wouldn't call overnight the "minimum" time needed for Boeshield, but I'm not really sure how much difference it makes to give it more than two hours. I typically do give it overnight, but not always.

The last word of advice is to completely wipe off your chain after you lube.
    I agree. Even with a decent amount of wiping, a slight film still remains, which prevents rust and makes gear shifts smoother.

Larry

banned
    link
    Here are some pics from a mud night ride I did last week. Note the chain.

Singletrack Addict!!!
    My $.02, I mostly use syntethic engine oil 10W-30 to 40, apply with an eye drop dispenser link by link and voila it's way cheaper around $5 for a litter. Have had better wet results witn 3 in 1 household oil, stays longer but gets way black. For rust I use a Sram chain (pc99 hollow) not like shimanos that you have to take extra care as they are not plated. After I clean the chain I spray it with WD-40 and wipe the excess and it's ready for the next lube and ride. For dry / dusty conditions I've tried PTFE dry lube spay, not the best but clean.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Dumonde Tech over any other brand. Clean if used As The Directions Say To, outlast other brands especially those "dry" lubes, hit any water and you might as well just stop and re-apply it.

Reviewer/Tester

Good job! Progold

I have been a user of Rock & Roll for quite a few years, but I switched to Progold lube earlier this year and it's fantastic stuff.

I soak my two spare cleaned chains in a sealed container of Progold while i'm using the third one on the bike.

It's brilliant stuff, the chemical in the lube bonds to the steel of the chain to help prevent wear and friction...and it lasts a long time between lubes.

The chain always looks clean even after a muddy ride, and being a 'wet' lube its easy to apply while the chain is on the bike if you want to do it that way.

I don't use anything else now.

R.
    It is inevitable ...

I Love my Rize

Good job! I agree ProLink

Quote Originally Posted by lebikerboy
    I live in North Vancouver and have been using Progold for 4 years or so. It outperforms any other lube I've tried hands down for any type of weather conditions. As someone mentioned further up the thread, apply any lube the night before the ride and wipe off excess.

ProLink is by far the best, when used properly it will look like you never lubed your chain. Your chain will be bright and shiney and dry to the touch, the lube bonds to the metal inside the rollers and is dry as they come and water won't wash it off, Mud and grime will evenually wear it away but it will last your nasty ride with ease. After the ride just wash chain with soap and water water with a brush dry chain then apply ProLink and let dry and your ready to go again. Nothing better.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by danoalb
    ProLink is by far the best, when used properly it will look like you never lubed your chain. Your chain will be bright and shiney and dry to the touch, the lube bonds to the metal inside the rollers and is dry as they come and water won't wash it off, Mud and grime will evenually wear it away but it will last your nasty ride with ease.:
    It seems to depend on the specific type of dirt/mud in your area. Some people report similar findings to yourself, but my personal experience with Progold (in Los Angeles area) was that it didn't last well in water/mud at ALL -- I was quite dissappointed. Riding in the same areas, I get much better longevity with Boeshield T-9.

The bottom line is that there is NO way of determining the "best" lube from other people's reports. You have to try lubes out yourself to determine which one works best in YOUR specific areas doing YOUR specific types or riding.

Larry

lube yer chain on demand

The solution is here...

Quote Originally Posted by forkboy
    Every wet lube I have used has gunked up the chain quickly. Usually the wetter the conditions it's aimed at the quicker it gunks up the chain. Don't even try the Extreme condition lubes...
    Check out the Active Fluid System from Scottoiler. It's proven and it works.
    Yea though I ride through the valley completely out of breath,
    I will be dropped by no people: For my bike continueth carry me; Thy suspension and Thy granny ring they comfort me.

Scottoiler Chain Lubrication Systems
    www.scottoilerusa.com

Linoleum Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottoiler
    Check out the Active Fluid System from Scottoiler. It's proven and it works.
    That's actually a pretty cool idea. I don't know if I'd go for it (I don't even trust hydraulic brakes) but it is pretty darned innovative.

Good luck with it!

lube yer chain on demand
    Quote Originally Posted by forkboy
    That's actually a pretty cool idea. I don't know if I'd go for it (I don't even trust hydraulic brakes) but it is pretty darned innovative.

Good luck with it!
    The system has been thoroughly tested and is very reliable. It just plain works. (just like most hydraulic brakes).
    Yea though I ride through the valley completely out of breath,
    I will be dropped by no people: For my bike continueth carry me; Thy suspension and Thy granny ring they comfort me.

Scottoiler Chain Lubrication Systems
    www.scottoilerusa.com

Linoleum Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottoiler
    It just plain works. (just like most hydraulic brakes).
    Yup.

Still doesn't mean I'm going to put 'em on my bike.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast