mtbr member
    Jan 2004

What`s the difference between a Deore and a XT front der?

Being clear, I see those two just the same. Obviusly the XT derr is more beautiful aestethicaly than the deore, but in weight they are just the same (124grm aprox).

Besides that, whats the main diff between both?

Functionality?, Cage resistance? Spring tension?

It`ll be replacing a LX derr that developed play in the pivots after 22 months of use

BTW, I already have the Deore front derr, so it will be nice not to spend the extra money but if the differences worth it then the answer is obvius...

Ps: It`s bottom pull

thanks!
    bye

dot
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fran
    Being clear, I see those two just the same. Obviusly the XT derr is more beautiful aestethicaly than the deore, but in weight they are just the same (124grm aprox).

Besides that, whats the main diff between both?

Functionality?, Cage resistance? Spring tension?

It`ll be replacing a LX derr that developed play in the pivots after 22 months of use

BTW, I already have the Deore front derr, so it will be nice not to spend the extra money but if the differences worth it then the answer is obvius...

Ps: It`s bottom pull

thanks!
    bye
    They look the same, they differ in life span. The deore mech won't last more than 3 months, The XT one'll slightly outlive your LX

mtbr member
    How do you know that?!

A weird statement.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

anyone else...??

Your imput is really apreciated...

Cheezy Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by dot
    The deore mech won't last more than 3 months, The XT one'll slightly outlive your LX
    ?????
    I have an Alivio (one step below Deore) FD that's still going strong after 5 years, including a handfull of races. Just use your Deore til it dies, spend your money on a more comfortable seat or something.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufudufus
    ?????
    I have an Alivio (one step below Deore) FD that's still going strong after 5 years, including a handfull of races. Just use your Deore til it dies, spend your money on a more comfortable seat or something.
    I agree. FDs just do not wear out/flail quickly or easily. Usually very little functional difference throughout the line either.

I have 15 year old low end FDs that still work fine.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    The FD on my Kona is 15 years old, works as good as day one.

dot
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufudufus
    ?????
    I don't know, I had plenty of Deore FDs since they'd been introduced but they all didn't last long. They become loose very quickly in 2-3 months. They still can work for years but not as perfect as new ones.

mtbr member
    I always thought, besides weight, the spring was stronger the higher level you went. This, obvioulsy leads to smoother/quicker shifting. But, I run SRAM now anyways.

Got A Lust for Life...
    Well,
    I had a deore that lasted much longer than an XTR. I have had an LX last much longer than an XT. They all suck in my opinion. That is why I buy deore if I need a front der. I said if because I went 1X9. They never worked when I needed them to anyway regardless of price range. I wouldn't go buy an XT just because it says XT. XT's break just as fast as anything else. I am not talking about crash failures. I am talking about breaking at the pivot points.
    I am immune to your disdain.

mtbr member
    dont know what the diff is, but the front xt der i have at home is a few grams heavier than the lx?

steve

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Most of the top swing derailleurs develope play in the cage pivots almost before you install them. The bottom swingers just have stronger cage pivots and therefore last almost forever. Many FS frames just don't have room for them though, and thus the top swing front derailleur.

dot
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebo
    Most of the top swing derailleurs develope play in the cage pivots almost before you install them. The bottom swingers just have stronger cage pivots and therefore last almost forever. Many FS frames just don't have room for them though, and thus the top swing front derailleur.

Funny, I always thought that top swingers are more durable. But I didn't use them a lot. I've had only two of them, one was sold almost new, the second I'm using now and it's almost new too.

mtbr member
    Yeah, me too. I got tired of front dereilleurs and went 1X9. All better.

silly person
    Dec 2005
    If you're looking at front derailleurs that are top pull have a look at the X-Gen from Sram. I almost bought one to replace the LX that was being a pain on my bike. They just seem to be really solidly constructed and it uses the same pivot style for top and bottom pull.

Ski during the off-season
    One of the best upgrades I have made on my bike was to purchase an used XTR (FD-M952) -- I had been running an LX and getting it into the big ring was always a task with my grip shifters. When I upgraded frames, the frame came with a Deore, and there was not much difference between it and the LX. Not sure if the rings I have were part of the issue as the big ring has 46t (RF Next-LP's w/ 46-34-24 rings, I think).

Anyway, I read the reviews on the Shimano FD's, and there were several reviewers that commented that XT & below had very similiar designs--some diff's were cosmetic while there was some differences in the quality of the components but functionally they all worked the same. The 952 & new FD's have a different action (I forget the technical term used to describe it), and shifting between gears is much more definite -- there is no gradual transistion between the rings, which I like. Also, there is very little need to 'trim' the front shifter to eliminate the chain rubbing on the FD, which I was always doing with the LX/Deore FD's.