mtbr member
    May 2005

Weird Crank Issue

OK, so the other day I hit the trail go about 2.5 miles in and notice that my left pedal feels like it was bent or something. I get offa my bike and check the pedal, everything looks and acts fine. I get back on and start to pedal away and my left crack falls off, my bud finds the screw about three feet behind me on the trail.

After examination I notice that there does not appear to be any lock tite on the screw, and the screw appears to have been stripped. I then try several times to re-attach the cracnk and of course that does not last very long.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this before?

born again
    Quote Originally Posted by burncycle
    OK, so the other day I hit the trail go about 2.5 miles in and notice that my left pedal feels like it was bent or something. I get offa my bike and check the pedal, everything looks and acts fine. I get back on and start to pedal away and my left crack falls off, my bud finds the screw about three feet behind me on the trail.

After examination I notice that there does not appear to be any lock tite on the screw, and the screw appears to have been stripped. I then try several times to re-attach the cracnk and of course that does not last very long.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this before?
    Sounds like the screw wasn't properly torqued in the first place. Locktite shouldn't be used on crank screws. If the crank threads are stripped you're SOL and likely need a new crank.
    Classic Cascade Rides

Original quote by Pinchflat:
    The faster you go the shorter the ride!

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Yes, That Happens

The crank bolts will back themselves out from regular use if you dont re torque them from time to time. The wobbling pedal is a dead giveaway to stop pedaling and either fix it or walk home. If you ride with it loose you will eventually damage the crank/ bb spindle interface.

I've have never had a crankbolt strip on me so I don't know what caused that (perhaps improper install??)