mtbr member

Warning road content: shifer RD compatibility?

I'm a mountain biker, and know a lot of you guys ride road bikes, and I figured the mechanics are similar, so here's the question:

I can't seem to find the answer through searching. I have some 10 speed dura-ace shifters - can I use these with an 8speed ultegra RD??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Overkill
    I'm a mountain biker, and know a lot of you guys ride road bikes, and I figured the mechanics are similar, so here's the question:

I can't seem to find the answer through searching. I have some 10 speed dura-ace shifters - can I use these with an 8speed ultegra RD??
    yep...
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by logbiter
    yep...
    Thanks for the quick response.

Anything special I need to do?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Overkill
    Thanks for the quick response.

Anything special I need to do?
    nope, deraillers are pretty 'dumb'. just be sure to use the proper cage length & chain length for cassette & rings you're using. set up like any other derailler.

BTW- I'm using 10spd ultegra on my 'monster cross' bike w/ an 10+ yr old xt short cage r. der.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

Former Bike Wrench
    As long as the rear derailluer is designed for the pull ratio that the shifters use. A 10 speed Shimano shifter still uses the same pull ratio as the 7/8/9 speed stuff used so it works fine with older Shimano derailluers.

This would not be the case with a Shimano shifter and a Campy or SRAM rear derailluer as they use a different pull ratio