mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Wanting more gears. Shimano compatibility problem

I have a nice xt crank, older octalink and I still love it. I would like to replace the middle ring with something more then the 32tth I allready have.
    I ordered a slx 36tth but it doesn't fit on the middle ring.
    I would love to use shimano components first , I love the whole ramps and pins things. But short of that any other ideas appreciated.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    You don't say why it doesn't fit but looking around, it looks like the tabs at the bolt holes are longer on the new chainrings. I've seen posts where people have Dremeled some of the tab away to make the ring fit - doesn't seem to affect strength.
    You might have to play with your front derailleur - the difference between your large and middle might interfere with the cage.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

The new slx fits the outside ring is, but in the middle, the tabs extend in just a bit more then outside.
    Doesn't look like there is alot of meat on the slx rings to grind down. But I'll take a look and see what's what

Bill

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by crossracer View Post
    The new slx fits the outside ring is, but in the middle, the tabs extend in just a bit more then outside.
    Doesn't look like there is alot of meat on the slx rings to grind down. But I'll take a look and see what's what

Bill
    That's the problem with the old Shimano XT M752 crankset. It had a proprietary middle ring "cut" compared to other 104mm BCD middle ring patterns. Shimano changed that in subsequent XT cranks, but I've got the same crankset and anything outside of a middle ring designed to fit that specific crank won't work.

As you said, it will fit the outer ring slot. I had to mount my Rotor Q Ring 34T in the outer slot for a 1 x 9 due to that as I didn't want to take my Dremel to the middle slots. That is an option though, if you have a Dremel. Not your issue, but the 34T ring works perfectly in the outer slot for my case because I am using the 113mm spindle BB, so the chainline in the outer position is perfect for a 1 x __ drivetrain on my RIP.

Are you trying to turn yours into a 2 x __ drivetrain? Russ Anderson offers a nice 30T and 40T middle/outer ring if you want to stick with a triple drivetrain and use your outer ring more. It fits on the old Shimano XT M752, but you will have to Dremel off a bit of the tabs (easy to do) to make it work.
    The 14 warmest years have all occurred in the 16 years since 1997.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Ahh, proprietary , thank you shimano. Not trying to go 2x9 I'm still running 3x8 and it's cool. Where I live and ride a 22-32-42 is a bit low geared for me. I've allready replaced the 22 with a 26 and it was plenty low enough in my last race.

So I thought why not replace the 32 with a 36. Giving me more mid range options. I ordered a new ring today, we will see how it fits. Otherwise mr dremal will be visiting my spider and we will make that sucker fit.

Thankfully it doesn't look like a lot needs removed. I'll go slow and take my time.

Thanks everyone
    Bill

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Found a solution, truva makes the ring and it fits beautifully. Just installed it.
    Yay
    Bill