Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Wanted: Tips on losing my big chainring!

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  mightymouse 
#1 ·
I was on a ride this weekend and noticed another rider on a 29er with what seemed like a really tiny front chainring. I asked him about it and he said he just removed his big chainring.

I'm only in my first year of mountain biking and hadn't heard of this (though lots of people seem to do it). It was a kind of "Eureka!" moment for me because it makes so much sense! I almost never use the big ring, and losing it gives me another inch of clearance.

So I'm wondering how many other people have done this. Did you ever miss having the big ring? Was the extra clearance worth it?

I think I read somewhere that on rocky descents it's good to shift onto the big ring to take up slack in the chain...but don't know how many people do that (or how important/beneficial it is?)

Finally, any tips on doing it if I decide to? (I have to find a chain guard that fits my middle ring, right?)

Thanks,
Scott

#4 ·
Scott, tons of posts about this topic. I recently moved into the new era of mtnbk myself. You have 2 options. Either get new chain ring bolts that are shorter than the ones on there now (if just ditching the big ring) or get a bashguard and replace the big ring. I used to use my big ring as my bash guard because I never used it for gearing.
BBG Bashguards are really cheap and seem to be widely used. I got a link to them form someone on here and for $18 shipped, it was a no brainer. You are probably running standard rings on the front; 22-32-44. You might be running a 34 middle ring. Just count the teeth. Get the bash guard that is equal to or just above the middle rings tooth count, 32T = 32 or 34T bash guard.
Once installed, use the H limit screw on the front derailleur to prevent it from shifting into the now defunct 3rd ring.
Easy!

#11 ·
SWriverstone said:
...it makes so much sense! I almost never use the big ring, and losing it gives me another inch of clearance.

So I'm wondering how many other people have done this. Did you ever miss having the big ring? Was the extra clearance worth it?
The clearance is really nice. I just removed the 44T ring, replaced the chainring bolts with 6mm versions (double) because I'm not using a bash in place of the big ring or to guard the middle ring, adjusted the FD and it was done. You might want to run a bash if you're crossing rocks, I'm in the trees, and without the big ring I either completely clear the logs now or barely touch them on the chain. Haven't missed the big ring once, and that's with 32-11.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.