mtbr member
    Jul 2013

vintage Shimano Exage ES M-system, (3x7 brake/shifter schematic)

Hi,

New to this forum so please bear with me. Back in 1991 I purchased a Diamond Back Response Sport mountain bike new and am looking at getting this bike back into good reliable operating condition. The shifter assemblies are both gummed up and shifting is near impossible. I took the right side shifter apart and for the life of me cannot figure out how to get it properly re-assembled. I'm usually very good about taking plenty of dis-assembly pics and in this case, I did not. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

vintage Shimano Exage ES M-system, (3x7 brake/shifter schematic)

Well, wished you had posted before you took it apart.
    I have saved almost every shifter Frim shimano by soaking the interiors in tri flow or some other kind of lubricant. This allows the old grease to loosen and the shifter comes back to life.
    But if you took it apart, you might have killed it.

Bill

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Bill,

I've been dinking around with it and finally figured it out. I did not take apart the entire assembly and only removed both levers and springs. I thoroughly soaked the assembly in Liquid Wrench and used an air gun to blow out all the crud/gunk. Repeated this process several more times. Re-assembled shifters and everything works great.

Steve
    Last edited by scw1991; 07-31-2013 at 05:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Yes, as said above, I've taken those and other old school shifters and put them into an ultra sonic cleaner to un-gum them. I hope you somehow, some way get it back together and get them working. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I used pb blaster to brink an ultegra brifter back to life on my roadie. After telling this to the LBS tech he frowned and said that PB was nasty stuff and I might want to flush it out again with something else. He sold me a can of GT-85 (I think that was what it was called). I flushed it really good with that. Liquid wrench may have the same effect, so you might want to follow it up with something else. I like the triflow idea. I use that stuff at work and it is great.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I've got both PB Blaster and Liquid Wrench. In essence they both perform the same function from what I can tell. I will take advice of the members here and give it a final lube with Tri-Flow and should be good to go for another 20 years...ha!

Thanks again for everyone's input. Greatly appreciated!