mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Bonking ... not feelin' well Very strange creaking problem

My bike is only about 100 miles old, and it has already developed a very strange creaking problem. The creak is very defined and very loud if im tourquing the pedals at a slow RPM, but it even occurs when im not even touching the pedals. 90% of the time it is in the same spot in my revolution, or about once everytime the wheel goes around. I've tried everything but it still persists. I've greased/tefloned the BB threads twice, tightened the crank bolts, shortened the chain adjusted the derraleurs etc, still no go. Im thinking maybe this is a hub problem? It's not the saddle either. Thanks in advance for any help

mtbr member
    May 2004

Did you check...

Quote Originally Posted by mattfelner
    My bike is only about 100 miles old, and it has already developed a very strange creaking problem. The creak is very defined and very loud if im tourquing the pedals at a slow RPM, but it even occurs when im not even touching the pedals. 90% of the time it is in the same spot in my revolution, or about once everytime the wheel goes around. I've tried everything but it still persists. I've greased/tefloned the BB threads twice, tightened the crank bolts, shortened the chain adjusted the derraleurs etc, still no go. Im thinking maybe this is a hub problem? It's not the saddle either. Thanks in advance for any help
    the steering head bearings? Does the fork have any play in the head set?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    How about the pedals??

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

grease everywhere :)

Since it happens when you aren't touching the pedals, it can't be any part of the drivechain (ie, BB, pedals, etc.).

The only other places that would normally develop creaks are the seat/seatpost, or the steering. Does it happen if you push down on the handle bars? If it does, take the stem off the steerer tube. Smear a thin layer of grease over the steerer tube, and put it together again. Do the same with the join between the handlebars and the stem.

The seatpost also needs grease to stop creaking, and sometimes a bit of grease on the seatrails is needed.

If none of them work, there are other possibilities. Unfortunately, they aren't easy fixes. It could be a crack in the frame (unlikely, due to age of bike), or the fork stantions may have loosened in the crown. Not good.

I hope you can track it down. Nothing more annoying then a random creak.

Quote Originally Posted by mattfelner

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Check your wheels

I was hearing creaking from my bike lately as well, and I thought it was from the crankset/BB, so I removed and retorqued the crankarms, but it still didn't go away.

After careful inspection, I discovered the creaking was coming from the rear wheel. From posting here, I learned that some of the spokes have come loose in my rear wheel.

Most likely yours is not the same problem, but I would suggest checking your wheels anyway. If anything, it'll be one source to cross off your list of potential culprits.

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004

Not sure but

This maybe a lame thing to check but it was the rattle/creak sound on my bike that I finally found.... disc brake rotor in the rear was loose. have you checked your derailleur pullys?
    [SIZE=2]Question to a custom frame builder..."So what makes your bikes climb better?"....his answer, "Uh, your legs?"[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Thanks, i checked the pedals but it can't be them considering it happens when i dont even pedal...also, i have a fairly old fork that does have some "leg walk" but im doubting its this because when i rock the bike or press down on the shocks or the handlebars, it doesn't happen.Thanks for all your input

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Thanks, i checked the pedals but it can't be them considering it happens when i dont even pedal...also, i have a fairly old fork that does have some "leg walk" but im doubting its this because when i rock the bike or press down on the shocks or the handlebars, it doesn't happen.Thanks for all your input

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Seatpost creak

The same thing drove me nuts until I greased my seatpost and tightened the hell
    out the clamp.