mtbr member
    Aug 2004

using shimano xtr 2003 rear derail. with deore mega-9 shifter

hey all. Currently, im using shimano deore shifter and rear derail. After few months of using this pair, i would like to shift to new derailleurs. Sram x0 managed to get me excited but i nee d to change the shifter as well. So, i planned to use back shimano product. Do you guys think that shimano xtr 2003 rear derail. mix up well with mega-9 shifter? Although its written on shimano's website that xtr is compatible with mega-9 shifter and 8-gears as well, i think it's better to ask someone at forum just to be safe. Thanks a lot for your time.

Brian.

the catalan connection

Just an idea....

....by not much more the price of a xtr derailleur you could get a set of XT shifters and a XT rear drailleur. And I thing the improvement in shifting would be greater than running a xtr with those crappy deore shifters.
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot

LT1
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

...agree with other post, XT the way to go...

...for this kind of upgrade, although I would suggest the following XT Shifters, XT Cassette and an XT Chain (although depending on the age and condition of your front chainrings, you may have to get new chainrings as well).

I've found that this XT combo shifts almost as well as XTR and without all the other pieces, especially for XT or XTR, you really aren't buying much. Or, put another way, an XTR rear derailleur on a Deore cassette and a Deore chain with a Deore shifter is only going to shift as good as Deore - but at least your shifting problems will be more predictable and precise...

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    thanks for your guys replies. Im sorry that i forgot to mention the cassette im using now. I just bought the XT cassette few days ago and it runs well on my deore pieces. On price issue, i dont know much about other countries price list. But here in Malaysia, one piece of XTR 2003 rear derail. cost me around USD $80 and a Deore XT 2004 rear derail. cost me USD $72. This is a very small difference of price range. What i`ve planned is to get that xtr 2003 first and then move on to the xtr gear shifters. Any ideas? thanks

Brian.

the catalan connection

Only 8 $ diference? Thatīs weird

...here in Spain a new 2003 xtr rear der. costs around 120 euros, where a new XT 2004 rear der costs around 65...so almost half the price.
    Being the dif. so little there in Malaysia it makes no sense not going for an XTR. But is really weird , sounds like youīre looking to a sort of pre 2003 xtr soldout or something, worth buying anyway, unless you need a rapidrise derailleur.
    I would really go for a nice set of shifters. This really makes a difference. I had both XT and XTR rapidfires and you could feel the difference in smoothness and precision. Normaly new bikes come spec. whith eye catching componentry highligts, being the rear derailleur the most looked and desired part of the drivetrain and letting any shifter do the job.I really think should be the opposite, specially when you see your shifters survive smashed derailleurs often.
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    ehh..i thought xtr 2003 rear derail. came with rapidrise function. correct me if im wrong as i saw this in shimano's europe website. thanks again

Brian.

the catalan connection

YouÂīre right...

...2003 xtr is RR. Just thought you were looking at a pre 2003 soldout, given the low price you mentioned.

Cheers

X-Ray Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by What&son
    I would really go for a nice set of shifters. This really makes a difference. I had both XT and XTR rapidfires and you could feel the difference in smoothness and precision. Normaly new bikes come spec. whith eye catching componentry highligts, being the rear derailleur the most looked and desired part of the drivetrain and letting any shifter do the job.I really think should be the opposite, specially when you see your shifters survive smashed derailleurs often.

So would shifting improve if one upgrades their shifters...or will u still get the same quality of shiftin cuz i got a deore setup goin. Like will XT/Deore (shifter/derailleur) shift better than Deore/Deore or not noticable?

the catalan connection

I canīt speak of Deore derailleurs...

...since I havenīt tryed any. But I have tryed Deore shifters on XT rear der. and compared to xtr shifters with the same derailleur it made a noticeable difference.
    Deore and Lx rapidfires move on bushings. XT rapidfires used bearings on the push lever and bushings on the release lever (if I remember) and Xtr used bearings allover.
    So, I believe a xt shifter with a Deore derrailleur will do better than a full Deore setup...but I canīt say how would do the other way around...