Always Learning

Using a non-ramped/pinned middle ring...

Yes, I know it's been answered a 1000 times, but I'm considering swapping out to a different middle ring and using a bash guard instead of my outer ring. Problem is, the specific specialty middle ring I'm interested in is non ramped, but I would be able to use it for other purposes as well if see fit (1 x __ drivetrain or maybe even singlespeed). I'm using a SRAM twist grip shifter, so will shifting be okay up and back from the granny to a non-ramped and pinned middle ring? I've used a DH 40T as an outer ring before on a triple, but that was back in 2003 and I can't remember how it shifted. Memory loss sucks!

Thanks in advance.

BB
    The 14 warmest years have all occurred in the 16 years since 1997.

Former Bike Wrench
    Expect slower up shifts, otherwise with the grip shifts and their micro-indexing it should work ok

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    Expect slower up shifts, otherwise with the grip shifts and their micro-indexing it should work ok
    That's sort of what I figured and remember way, way deep in the recesses of my 8 year memory when I ran a 40T DH Race Face ring as my outer ring.

Am I crazy? Here's what I would be going from in terms of my current gearing on a 29"er...

Triple Gearing

Changing to this with the two rings, plus I would gain the ability to run a smaller bash ring and improve some clearance underneath. It looks like I would only be losing the 40T/11T combo gain ratio which I could live without except for full out sprints...

2 x 9 with Bash

The other question would be the actual size of a bash ring since I've never used one before. If the ring is a 34T, do I get a 34T bash - or is a 36T bash required to protect the chain and teeth? It won't be a retention device as I'll still be using a FD.

Thanks.

BB

Former Bike Wrench
    I've ran 22/34 on my 29er for the past few years and find it perfect for just about everything. Also, a 34t bash will protect the chain and teeth of a 34t chainring.

ouch....
    I have a non ramped 30T ring (usually run 1x9), it shifts fine when I have the granny on, no issues.
    Riding.....

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark
    I have a non ramped 30T ring (usually run 1x9), it shifts fine when I have the granny on, no issues.
    Thanks guys, I'm going to give it a whirl. And if doesn't work as well as I want, I can always use the ring for a 1 x __ drivetrain or SS. And if it works fine - I'll be happy.

BB

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown
    Thanks guys, I'm going to give it a whirl. And if doesn't work as well as I want, I can always use the ring for a 1 x __ drivetrain or SS. And if it works fine - I'll be happy.

BB
    Report back and let us know.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisgah
    Report back and let us know.
    Will do. Order is placed...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Bruce,
    Are you going with Rotor Q rings?
    I run a 36t non pinned Q and it works fine with XTR shifters and a Dura Ace front derailleur.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor
    Bruce,
    Are you going with Rotor Q rings?
    I run a 36t non pinned Q and it works fine with XTR shifters and a Dura Ace front derailleur.
    Yes, I'm going with the Rotors and a light weight 36T bash. Glad to hear your Q's are working fine. Mine should be here this week and I'll have at it with installation over the weekend.

BB

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I think I may try a 34 on my XT crank on my 2nd bike.
    I started out with a 38 round ring and went down to a 36....could probably go for a 34.
    Turning a 34/11 is moving pretty fast.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor
    I think I may try a 34 on my XT crank on my 2nd bike.
    I started out with a 38 round ring and went down to a 36....could probably go for a 34.
    Turning a 34/11 is moving pretty fast.
    Which 36T Rotor Q are you using? Is it the 110mm BCD pattern (road inner ring)?

I was curious about that option on another crankset (110/74) to go with a 27/36 combo, but am pretty satisfied with the 27/40T I am running presently with that set. It's just that there are clearance issues on Niner frames with that large of a chainring for a 2 x __ setup that I've had to work around.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown
    Which 36T Rotor Q are you using? Is it the 110mm BCD pattern (road inner ring)?

I was curious about that option on another crankset (110/74) to go with a 27/36 combo, but am pretty satisfied with the 27/40T I am running presently with that set. It's just that there are clearance issues on Niner frames with that large of a chainring for a 2 x __ setup that I've had to work around.
    Yes...it's the road inner on a Agilis crank.
    I didn't want the 40t because it's over kill ( I'm not going to turn 40/11 around here) and I'd lose ground clearance going over logs and rock...which we have a lot of here