mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Using a 9 speed chain with a SS crank

Can you use a 9 speed chain on a SS crank? I'm wanting to run a 9 speed rear derailleur with a SS crank. The places that i ride are not quit SS able but close.

mtbr member
    I've been wondering the same thing. I've been thinking to run 1x9 as well. One option I stumbled upon the other day was the Origin-8 chainring:

http://www.eighthinch.com/mm5/mercha...ainrings_bolts

You can buy the ring in 3/32" width that is suitable for 9-speed chains.The same site has cranksets to match.

Other options may be out there. The above is just one that I happened to find.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachmccool
    Can you use a 9 speed chain on a SS crank? I'm wanting to run a 9 speed rear derailleur with a SS crank. The places that i ride are not quit SS able but close.
    I am guessing it may vary ring to ring, but it did not work when I tried to run a 9 speed chain on a Surly ss ring with a 3 speed setup in the rear.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    If I went with something like that how would I determine what length Crank arm I need?

Also would something like this work? http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/167...k-Crankset.htm

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    There are only 2 standards for chainring tooth width.
    1/8" as used on fixed gear, SS, internal gear, and coaster brake.
    3/32" as used on all derailleur bikes since the early sixties, and some SS bikes.

As long as you have a 3/32" chainring for your SS or 1x9 a 9s chain will work. If your SurlySS chainring was spec'd with a 3-speed internal hub, there's a good chance it was 1/8" width.
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FBinNY
    There are only 2 standards for chainring tooth width.
    1/8" as used on fixed gear, SS, internal gear, and coaster brake.
    3/32" as used on all derailleur bikes since the early sixties, and some SS bikes.

As long as you have a 3/32" chainring for your SS or 1x9 a 9s chain will work. If your SurlySS chainring was spec'd with a 3-speed internal hub, there's a good chance it was 1/8" width.
    I ran an 8 speed chain with the surly ss ring when I had it set up ss and it worked fine (better than the 1/8" chain I tried), but it would not work with a 9 sp chain with a derailleur out back. Did not try it with an 8 sp chain with a derailleur.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    I ran an 8 speed chain with the surly ss ring when I had it set up ss and it worked fine (better than the 1/8" chain I tried), but it would not work with a 9 sp chain with a derailleur out back. Did not try it with an 8 sp chain with a derailleur.
    Curious, the nominal inside width of 8s and 9s chains is the same, so if one fit, the other should have also. What exactly was the problem? wouldn't fit onto the teeth?, ran off the side? other?
    fb
    www.chain-L.com

The key to solving any problem is to understand and address the underlying cause.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FBinNY
    Curious, the nominal inside width of 8s and 9s chains is the same, so if one fit, the other should have also. What exactly was the problem? wouldn't fit onto the teeth?, ran off the side? other?
    I don't think it was an issue of 8 vs 9 speed, but rather that it was being used with a single cog as opposed to cassette.