mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Using 32t middle with 36t bash on a 2x9 ok?

Looking for an answer to a basic question....I have a set of M770 XT cranks and am running a 2x9 22-36 with a 36t E.thirteen bash. I am looking at swapping rings down to a 20-32 setup. My question-currently, the SLX double FD I have pulls to just above the bash lip when on the upper ring. I am thinking I will need to drop the FD to adjust for the new 20-32 setup, but am concerned that if I do that, the outer FD cage will butt up against the inside of the bashring and not allow the shift to the 32.

So, long story long: can I use a 32t middle ring with a 36t bashguard in a 2x9 setup? Do I leave the FD where it is at or drop it? If I drop it, will it be able to shift to the 32t without clearing over the bash?

Thanks in advance!

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by bk12
    Looking for an answer to a basic question....I have a set of M770 XT cranks and am running a 2x9 22-36 with a 36t E.thirteen bash. I am looking at swapping rings down to a 20-32 setup. My question-currently, the SLX double FD I have pulls to just above the bash lip when on the upper ring. I am thinking I will need to drop the FD to adjust for the new 20-32 setup, but am concerned that if I do that, the outer FD cage will butt up against the inside of the bashring and not allow the shift to the 32.

So, long story long: can I use a 32t middle ring with a 36t bashguard in a 2x9 setup? Do I leave the FD where it is at or drop it? If I drop it, will it be able to shift to the 32t without clearing over the bash?

Thanks in advance!
    Leave the derailleur where it is (just adjust the H limit screw) and a 36t bash on a 32t chainring is fine.