mtbr member

Using 10 spd Gripshift with non Sram grips?

I want to run ESI grips with my XO shifters because I like the feel of them more than the standard lock on grips. The grips were on the bike when I got it, so I don't have the discreet lockring that the shifters come with when purachsed separately. I can't find any of them online and it would cost me a $25 dollar special order fee to get them in addition to the actual cost. Can I install the grips and use the shifters without the lockrings or will I risk damaging the shifter? Anybody running non Sram grips out there?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I'm a bit confused by your post. Are you asking if you can run ESI grips with SRAM gripshift? What lockring are you talking about?

I'm not certain the difference between 9spd and 10spd grips, but I ran 9spd X0 gripshift for years with ESI chucky. No issues there. Maybe I'm missing the question entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by RMcjd View Post
    I want to run ESI grips with my XO shifters because I like the feel of them more than the standard lock on grips. The grips were on the bike when I got it, so I don't have the discreet lockring that the shifters come with when purachsed separately. I can't find any of them online and it would cost me a $25 dollar special order fee to get them in addition to the actual cost. Can I install the grips and use the shifters without the lockrings or will I risk damaging the shifter? Anybody running non Sram grips out there?

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by notenoughtime View Post
    I'm a bit confused by your post. Are you asking if you can run ESI grips with SRAM gripshift? What lockring are you talking about?

I'm not certain the difference between 9spd and 10spd grips, but I ran 9spd X0 gripshift for years with ESI chucky. No issues there. Maybe I'm missing the question entirely.
    The 10 speed grip shifters are different in that respect from 9 speed. The 10 speed grip shifters are integrated with the stock grip and have a kind of blade type interface that slips into each other.

I didn't care for how narrow the stock grips are, and to make it worse, they taper down toward the outside of the grip. I put a layer of (road) bar tape over them, and then slipped a short section of road bike inner tube over that to accommodate my oversized meathooks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I have the same issue, and the lock ring is larger which isn't the greatest...

I saw in the SRAM forum (I think) a while back, that a person cut the grip part off, ground down the outside lock ring and put the esi grips on. I'm just about at the point now to try it as well..

mtbr member
    There is a small plastic ring that goes in place of the integrated grips if you are using non sram grips. I think it basically acts as a shield between the grip and shifter to keep the shifter from rubbing on the grip. Honestly I didn't pay much attention to its function when I installed the shifters.

I ended up with cut down ergons, but I tried ESI's directly on the bar and didn't like them because there is a noticeable mismatch between the diameter of the grip and the shifter. Esi has a new extra thick grip out that might be better or I've heard of guys using tape to incease the diameter of the bar before installing the grip.

mtbr member
    I ended up using the ESI chunky grips without the plastic ring and it seems to be fine. The chunky grips match the shifter grip perfectly with no difference in height.