Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Use Bottom Pull FD as Top Pull

676 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Andrew4Bama 
#1 ·
I just recently won an SRAM X-3 on eBay for $1.25+shipping. I assumed it was top pull for some reason and went ahead and bought it. But I just got it in the mail yesterday, only to find out that it uses bottom pull. My bike is an '09 Giant Yukon FX and uses top pull. Is there any cost effective way I could make a bottom pull work? I would really rather not order another derailleur.

Thanks,
Andrew

#2 ·
Andrew4Bama said:
I just recently won an SRAM X-3 on eBay for $1.25+shipping. I assumed it was top pull for some reason and went ahead and bought it. But I just got it in the mail yesterday, only to find out that it uses bottom pull. My bike is an '09 Giant Yukon FX and uses top pull. Is there any cost effective way I could make a bottom pull work? I would really rather not order another derailleur.

Thanks,
Andrew
Not really. For the cost of the adaptors available (which may or may not work on your bike) you can buy a proper FD.

#4 ·
Andrew4Bama said:
What if I made grooves around the delta shaped part and made the cable go under it and up, like some kind of pulley system? I mean I payed about $5 w/ shipping, so I'm willing to do some kind of mod to it.
Knock yourself out.

Are you sure it is only a bottom pull? AFAK they are all dual pull.

#7 ·
Andrew4Bama said:
Wow, apparently the guy selling it had no clue what model it was...
Here's what mine looks like:
Might be an older model...still SRAM was dual pull...the picture is a little fuzzy but it looks like it has two mounting point...can you mount the bolt where I show in this picture:

#8 ·
mtnbiker72 said:
Might be an older model...still SRAM was dual pull...the picture is a little fuzzy but it looks like it has two mounting point...can you mount the bolt where I show in this picture:
Ahh, I completely overlooked that hole. The last derailleur I had was a different type of dual pull--the type that loops the cable around the bottom and uses the same mounting spot. I appreciate it!

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.