mtbr member

Urgent advice needed: Should I change cassette and chain?

Pending Iceman 30 mile point to point race this Saturday, leave this Friday. Broke a spoke in my wheel last Saturday so just go my bike back (16 Epic Pro).

My chain is very worn (about 1/8 past the 12 inch mark or just past the 1.0 on the Park Tool). The LBS, after building my wheel, checked and said it's very worn and I should replace both. Visual inspection of the cassette is looks fine to me. My questions:

With a Priority A race:

Do I just change both. Is that okay to do this close to race with me only getting maybe one 7-10 mile on bike prior to race?

If cassette looks okay can is it okay to just replace chain and then test for skipping on my 7-10 mile ride on Thursday? Is that enough time for chain to set and possibly skip if it were too?

Can I just continue to use old chain and old cassette since I just did a race on Saturday and noticed no issues? Or am I just asking for a broken chain during race?

I can do a lot with a bike, but sometimes not sure when to actually perform that maint. so thanks for your input.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Replace both now. Or, just run it as is and then replace both plus the chainring in the spring when the worst of the bad weather is over.

mtbr member
    I wouldn't replace any of it before the race. IF you do decide to replace, go for the chain, cassette, & chainring. The tall teeth of the new narrow wide rings are notorious for becoming loud and rough with a new chain replacing an old worn one.

mtbr member
    I would replace both regardless and without a doubt if going to a race. You really can't always visually determine if a cassette cog is worn but IME with a chain that stretched it is highly probable that you will get skipping in at least one gear if you only replace the chain.

A new chain/cassette install can be race-ready after a 5 minute test ride IMO. How are your chainrings?
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brentos View Post
    I wouldn't replace any of it before the race. IF you do decide to replace, go for the chain, cassette, & chainring. The tall teeth of the new narrow wide rings are notorious for becoming loud and rough with a new chain replacing an old worn one.
    True^ OP may have to commit to all 3 but I'd still do it since it would have to be done soon anyway. And next time I'd change the chain before it was so far gone.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    I would replace both regardless and without a doubt if going to a race. You really can't always visually determine if a cassette cog is worn but IME with a chain that stretched it is highly probable that you will get skipping in at least one gear if you only replace the chain.

A new chain/cassette install can be race-ready after a 5 minute test ride IMO. How are your chainrings?
    Chainring should be good. It's a newer oval ring (OEM ring was removed 100-150 miles ago).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brentos View Post
    What's the risk of not replacing it. Do the odds of a broken chain increase or is it just the possibility of chain skip?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guppie58 View Post
    Chainring should be good. It's a newer oval ring (OEM ring was removed 100-150 miles ago).
    ^all the more reason to change the chain/cassette asap, a stretched chain can remove metal from a new ring rather quickly.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    ^all the more reason to change the chain/cassette asap, a stretched chain can remove metal from a new ring rather quickly.
    Yep exactly. Always replace the chain if replacing a ring or cassette.

I recommend chain and cassette as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Team: Feedback Sports Racing

mtbr member

Good point. I ordered the new cassette. Sucks how much these things cost now.

mtbr member
    What's the risk of not replacing it. Do the odds of a broken chain increase or is it just the possibility of chain skip?
    Personally I'd be concerned about breaking it, hard riding and clumsy shifting during competition might test the limits of an iffy chain.

Good point. I ordered the new cassette. Sucks how much these things cost now.
    One of the reasons I'm still on 10-speed, xt's for $30!
    I brake for stinkbugs