mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Upgrading to Sram x-9 what cassette to use?

Ok upgrading my Trek/Fisher 11' Wahoo from a Sram X-4 with a SRAM PG-820 11-32, 8 speed cassette. Front I have Shimano Altus with a Shimano Acera, 42/32/22 crank. I want to change the crank too. I want to get rid of the granny gear. Now I want to upgrade to Sram X-9 I'm guessing long derailer? Not sure what would be better. Getting Sram X-9 Trigger shifters. Now what cassette do you guys prefer or recommend? What crank do you guys recommend too? I figure I should just upgrade my whole drive train while I'm at it. I'm sure I can upgrade all this to better components than what I have for under 200$. The X-9 Shifters and derailer I can get for under 75$. So that gives me roughly 150$ to play with to buy a chain/cassette/maybe front derailer if necessary and maybe even a better crank. All info and replies will be greatly appreciated. Riding I do is mostly XC with very little AM.

mtbr member
    By the time you upgrade the fork and the drivetrain with parts that are considerably better then what you have, you are already in the ballpark for a new bike. Use the Wahoo as a 2nd bike and buy a new one.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I understand this but.........I've had this bike for 2 months. Why would I go and buy a new bike? What is wrong with upgrading my parts? If I were to buy a hardtail with the components I want It will be in the ballpark of 1300 and up. Lets say maybe a Trek 8000series or a Specialized Stumpjumper (Hardtail non carbon frames.) So I paid 600$ for my bike. Upgrade the fork for 400$. Upgrade the drive train for 200$. Now instead of buying a new bike so costing me 1900$+ because it's including my wahoo and my new bike. For only 600$ more I can just have the bike I want, no? No offense to you or anything but I really asked a different question from the answer you have given. I forgot to include that the components I plan on buying will not be new but will be used condition but in good condition and not abused. Except the fork I might get the Manitou Drake new

mtbr member
    There is nothing wrong with upgrading, but with all that you want to upgrade, it will cost just as much as the bikes initial cost. Lets see, your bike is an 8 speed and you want to go 9 speed or maybe 10 speed. That now means you will be looking at a new cassette, new chain, new shifters and a new rear derailleur, if you want to upgrade the front too, then you have another part you need to purchase. You mentioned you`d like to possibly upgrade the crank, that right there is about a minimum of a $200 upgrade. Trust me, new or used, you`ll be spending a lot more that $200 on your drivetrain, then add the fork upgrade and you would have been better off buying a new bike.
    I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm trying to help you save money. If you like the bike you just bought, then leave it alone, ride it and enjoy it. Upgrade it when the parts break.

Short-Change-Hero
    One thing you have to consider in there is cost of tools (if you are doing yourself), shipping/tax, and/or cost for installation (for LBS to do). So you spend $600 on a bike and then another $600 on components you want. You may come in a slight bit cheaper but the possibility that you spend more is what he is getting at.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Like I said if I were to do it all over again I would of just purchased a higher end hardtail but, that is not the case here. The case is that my gf asked what I wanted for my b-day I wasn't going to be like get me a new bike or chip in for a bike because she wants to get an actual gift. So I suggested a fork would be nice. So ok now the price range she willing to spend is around 400$. Why don't YOU suggest a bike for me that I can get for 400$ with better components than my current bike. I'm sure there are plenty of people on this forum that put components on their bikes that cost more than their bike initially cost when they purchased it. The cost of putting on the parts is not an issue being that one of my close friends owns the LBS and I can bring it there and use to the tools to work on my bike when it isn't too busy. Now back to the topic, any suggestions for a cassette?

Rub it............
    I'm in agreement with everyone else, but I'll answer your question

Either an XT cassette or a PG-980. Just pick your gearing.

Short-Change-Hero
    Keep an eye on jenson USA for the xt m770 cassette. They have oem cassettes every once in a while for $55.

maker of trail
    So just to be clear?

You want to get rid of the granny, do mean no front der and just one ring, or you want to run midle+big ring?

If you are looking to go 1X9 (ie no front der and just one ring) you can run a short cage der
    If you are looking to go middle+big ring up front you can use mid cage. Basically choose the shortest cage you can because that means less chain slap and the cage is as far as possible off the ground where things like rocks and branches want to rip it off.

Not sure where you are getting stuff from, but from pricepoint, you could get x9 rear, x7 shifters, stylo crank and 980 cassette probably for 200-250.

If you want to go shimano cranks (prefer them personally) then can't beat the chain reaction slx for $120 deal, although you have to buy over $250 or so to get the free shipping to make it worth while...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by essenmeinstuff
    So just to be clear?

You want to get rid of the granny, do mean no front der and just one ring, or you want to run midle+big ring?

If you are looking to go 1X9 (ie no front der and just one ring) you can run a short cage der
    If you are looking to go middle+big ring up front you can use mid cage. Basically choose the shortest cage you can because that means less chain slap and the cage is as far as possible off the ground where things like rocks and branches want to rip it off.

Not sure where you are getting stuff from, but from pricepoint, you could get x9 rear, x7 shifters, stylo crank and 980 cassette probably for 200-250.

If you want to go shimano cranks (prefer them personally) then can't beat the chain reaction slx for $120 deal, although you have to buy over $250 or so to get the free shipping to make it worth while...
    Im going with 2x9 keeping the big and middle. Thanks for the help! I'm definitely going to look into that right now. The crank is my major thing. I'm getting x9 shifters with x9 derailer (mid) as long as i buy lunch for my buddy. So right now it's looking like cassette, chain, and crank. I still should go with a regular 9 spd chain even with the med derailer?

maker of trail
    if you have 9spd shifter, 9 spd cassette, you should run 9 spd chain.

Its not so much the derailleur but the rest of the drive train that cares about having a chain that matches.

You might want to double check that your gear range is ok for the mid actually.

eg if you have a 32t+44T up front, thats 12 (44-32) then cassette has 11-34, thats (34-11) 23, total of 35, which is near the capacity limit of 37 for a mid cage derailleur.

So if your front range is more then you may need to go to long cage.

Short-Change-Hero
    You can also do what I am did is I was able to pick up a used XT m770 crank for $104 and then a new XT BB for $27 (total of $131 all together shipped both from ebay) which would have been the cost of the SLX crankset. I plan to move to 2x9 in the future and will just change out the rings on this crank.

usually cranky
    you are gonna end up spending a lot of money to do what you want. personally here is what i would so: get a 2 ring x7 crankset w/ bb, get a decent 9 speed casette, get x7 shifters (x9 if you really want but there will hardly be a difference), x7 rd, and a 9 speed chain. like i said, its gonna be a good chunk of change. but i think what your trying is fesabale, with the drive train and fork upgraded you will be well on your way to a nicer bike. all you will need is some better wheels then a better frame eventually.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    you are gonna end up spending a lot of money to do what you want. personally here is what i would so: get a 2 ring x7 crankset w/ bb, get a decent 9 speed casette, get x7 shifters (x9 if you really want but there will hardly be a difference), x7 rd, and a 9 speed chain. like i said, its gonna be a good chunk of change. but i think what your trying is fesabale, with the drive train and fork upgraded you will be well on your way to a nicer bike. all you will need is some better wheels then a better frame eventually.
    Well so far Im getting the x-9 shifters and x-9 derailer rear for the cost of buying lunch for a friend. I just got the Easton XC one's for the wheelset. All parts I buy are interchangeable so if I plan on upgrading the frame I'd swap em over to the new bike. I'll look into the x7 crankset and the XT m770 (looked at a few the cost of new is above the budget but the cost that you spent is affordable to me.)

usually cranky
    sounds like an ok plan to me.

Short-Change-Hero
    You could also look at the Sram PG-980 cassette which you can find on ebay for about $60. Or JensonUSA has the HG-80 (SLX) on sale under the oe stuff for $55.. still a good cassette and actually about 10g lighter than the XT.