Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Upgrading to SRAM: Comments and suggestions please.

hey everyone.

First of all i would like to point out that this might, or might not happen.

Most of my friends have SRAM. I have Shimano. I have ridden thier bikes and love the shifting. I was thinking of upgrading to SRAM, it is probably gonna cost me $400 (I live in Australia).

SRAM X-7 RD
    SRAM X-Gen FD
    SRAM X-9 Shifters
    SRAM PowerGlide PC-970 9sp Cassette
    SRAM PC-991 9sp Chain
    Cabling System

Is that correct?
    any suggestions?

On my 2006 Norco Sasquatch, i have two front chainrings. A 22t, and a 32t, and a bashguard. All stock components.

Would it be better to have just one front sprocket, and 9 for the rear?
    Or should i stick with two?
    Would i still be able to wheelie with one front chainring?

I am just inquiring, suggestion would be greatly appreciated!
    Personal Experience with SRAM (from you guys) would be even better!

Overall, would it be worthwhile, both money and efficency aspects?
    Thanks

Laurence

Formerly DMR For Life
    one thing i would change is use a shimano FD IMO and XT FD is a better product than the x-gen FD

I personally run X.9 shifters and RD with XT front with the two chainrings in similar sizes to you and i have yet to do any maintenance on it in 4.5 months including much muddy riding

IMO it definatly is worth upgrading to Sram

DMR

banned
    Yeah, you can wheelie unless you don't have control of your power.

I run a 38t up front and can wheelie in 5th and 6th in back which are both over a 2:1 ratio...

Run a 32 and you should be able to. And I'm on a 11X32 LX Cassette.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DMR For Life
    one thing i would change is use a shimano FD IMO and XT FD is a better product than the x-gen FD

I personally run X.9 shifters and RD with XT front with the two chainrings in similar sizes to you and i have yet to do any maintenance on it in 4.5 months including much muddy riding

IMO it definatly is worth upgrading to Sram

DMR
    I just got a quote from my LBS.

(FYI, I live in Australia

X-7 RD =$100
    X-7 Shifter's =$140
    X-7 FD=$70
    PC-950 chain =$50
    Cassette =$90
    Install =$50

Total =$500
    they said i can get 10% off so, it will be $450

Thats the best deal i can get.

Is it worth spending $450?? i hope so

any other comments?

Freshly Fujified

Another SRAM vote

Quote Originally Posted by borry
    I just got a quote from my LBS.

(FYI, I live in Australia

X-7 RD =$100
    X-7 Shifter's =$140
    X-7 FD=$70
    PC-950 chain =$50
    Cassette =$90
    Install =$50

Total =$500
    they said i can get 10% off so, it will be $450

Thats the best deal i can get.

Is it worth spending $450?? i hope so

any other comments?
    I run X.7 shifters and r/d, PC 970 cassette, SRAM chain (I forget which model) and an XT f/d. I love it and wouldn't go back to Shimano. I've also run the X-Gen f/d on another ride, but only for a few months. It was fine, but know that the thing is big, and not necessarily the most refined derailleur out there. With that said, the only reason I have the XT f/d on my bike now is because I need a top swing derailluer so that it doesn't interfere with the suspension linkage. At the time I built the bike, X-Gen was bottom swing only (and may still be?) otherwsie I would have put it on this bike.

Bob.
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

banned
    That quote sucks ass dude. That is way too much. Just have them install it and save like $200.

Or spend the same amount and get better stuff.

www.pricepoint.com is your friend.....

Here. I made a new list for you.

Install: $50
    X.9 Rear derailleur and trigger shifters COMBO: $135
    LX Dual Pull Front Derailleur: $30
    Sram PC- 990 Chain w/ PowerLink: $40
    Shimano XT M760 Cassette 9 Speed: $75

I went with the Shimano cassette because I TWISTED my entire SRAM PG990 cassette.

OR, you could go with x.7 rear derailleur and shifters for $90

So, with x.9, $330 if my math is right. (doubt it)

Or, with x.7, it'll be $295.

The devil is an angel too
    Quote Originally Posted by standard235
    That quote sucks ass dude. That is way too much. Just have them install it and save like $200.

Or spend the same amount and get better stuff.

www.pricepoint.com is your friend.....

Here. I made a new list for you.

Install: $50
    X.9 Rear derailleur and trigger shifters COMBO: $135
    LX Dual Pull Front Derailleur: $30
    Sram PC- 990 Chain w/ PowerLink: $40
    Shimano XT M760 Cassette 9 Speed: $75

I went with the Shimano cassette because I TWISTED my entire SRAM PG990 cassette.

OR, you could go with x.7 rear derailleur and shifters for $90

So, with x.9, $330 if my math is right. (doubt it)

Or, with x.7, it'll be $295.
    I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that shipping it to Australia may offset any potential gains by ordering from Pricepoint, since, before any taxes or duties, he would have to pay at least $100 in shipping. But it may be worth checking on it anyway.
    Art is the most intense mode of individualism that the world has known.

Oscar Wilde

Freshly Fujified

Currency Conversion

If the OP is giving Austrailian dollars, the $500 AUD quote = $377.47 USD. Even if he saved the money buying online, between the exchange rate and FrozenK's $100 shipping (USD) estimate that equates to $132.45 in AUD. It's probably a wash, unless of course the quotes you made for PricePoint are in $ AUD....I think.

Now I'm confused.....

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

The devil is an angel too
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde
    If the OP is giving Austrailian dollars, the $500 AUD quote = $377.47 USD. Even if he saved the money buying online, between the exchange rate and FrozenK's $100 shipping (USD) estimate that equates to $132.45 in AUD. It's probably a wash, unless of course the quotes you made for PricePoint are in $ AUD....I think.

Now I'm confused.....

Bob
    NOTE: the shipping quote is straight out of the Pricepoint site. For international orders over $200:

http://www.pricepoint.com/helpDesk/International.htm

I did exaggerate it by two pennies,

The prices in standard's quote seem to be in US $.
    Art is the most intense mode of individualism that the world has known.

Oscar Wilde

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenK
    NOTE: the shipping quote is straight out of the Pricepoint site. For international orders over $200:

http://www.pricepoint.com/helpDesk/International.htm

I did exaggerate it by two pennies,

The prices in standard's quote seem to be in US $.
    thanks everyone for trying... I am just gonna buy from my LBS, my friends go there and they say the guys there are reliable. Also that shop is like $200AU cheaper than another LBS down the road... wierd, i know!

Is there a noticable difference between X-7 and X-9 RD's? what about shifter's?

thanks again
    Laurence

banned
    D'oh! I didn't see the AU thing...

Sorry.

x.9 is lighter, crisper shifting, and maybe stronger. If you ride a lot of really rough stuff, you might go x.7 because it's cheap. I loved mine... wish my cable lengths on my old bike were the same.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by standard235
    D'oh! I didn't see the AU thing...

Sorry.

x.9 is lighter, crisper shifting, and maybe stronger. If you ride a lot of really rough stuff, you might go x.7 because it's cheap. I loved mine... wish my cable lengths on my old bike were the same.
    I had the same idea. I have heard stories of people who had the X.9 RD, and then it broke .

I think i will get:

X.7 RD
    PC-970 Cassette
    PC-970 Chain
    X.7 or X.9 Shifter's
    XGen FD

BTW, i have created another thread titled "$800AU: What to purchase.... Opinions?" in the DH/FR forum.

thanks again

Laurence

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    As long as you don't make a habit of bouncing your X-9 off rocks or the like, its worth the extra $$. Sealed bearings last much longer and give better shifts throughout the life of the RD in my opinion. Just watch washing your pulleys with pressurized water (duh) as it could seize up the bearings. I've had 4 X-9s on my multispeeds and they are all still in action and great shape after a lot of abuse. I use the X-7s because I have the X-9s and didn't notice a difference in longevity or performance. BTW, Clark's cables are the best I've seen if you can get your hands on them. Just FYI IMHO. Go Sram and you won't regret it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i live in Aus, and you prices seem very good. mind you, i buy most of my parts off ebay and save a lot, and enjoy building bikes and have all the tools; if you require installation, then worth sourcing the parts from the LBS as you plan to ensure a complete package and any faults are dealt by them.

for the record, i run X.9 on my HT and X.0 on the FS (FD, RD, triggers, cassettes; XTR chains). i really like SRAM, and highly recommend it.

what FD do you currently have? as suggested, consider sticking with it to save some $$, as the SRAM FD is unnecessary (for compatibility), and will save you some $. you can always add it later.

also, a new chain and rear cassette are not imperative either at this stage. unless they are badly worn.

Is there a noticable difference between X-7 and X-9 RD's? what about shifter's?
    from a shifting point of view, there's no significant difference. perhaps as things wear out, X.9 may prove to last longer and shift better, but unsure. the main differences are in weight and quality of parts. X.7 uses a lot more plastic/pressed metal, whereas X.9 will use cast alloy. the bearings on the RD pulleys are not sealed on X.7.

if your style of riding is recreational free-/street-riding, and not so much offroad in poor weather/dust/mud, then X.7 is certainly hardy enough and should suit fine.

although have you considered:
    *ditching the FD, chain and cassette...till later when you can afford it or need it
    *just getting X.9 triggers and X.9 RD

for a 2x9 drivetrain you can probably go with a medium-cage RD too, instead of the long cage.

Last edited by shiny_car; 01-14-2006 at 04:31 PM.
    [size=1]
    - Giant NRS Composite - Giant XTC2 - Giant TCRCzero - Giant OCR1 -
    [/size]
    [size=1]- nothing stock here - move right along now -
    - Geelong area, Australia -
    [/size]

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by shiny_car
    i live in Aus, and you prices seem very good. mind you, i buy most of my parts off ebay and save a lot, and enjoy building bikes and have all the tools; if you require installation, then worth sourcing the parts from the LBS as you plan to ensure a complete package and any faults are dealt by them.

for the record, i run X.9 on my HT and X.0 on the FS (FD, RD, triggers, cassettes; XTR chains). i really like SRAM, and highly recommend it.

what FD do you currently have? as suggested, consider sticking with it to save some $$, as the SRAM FD is unnecessary (for compatibility), and will save you some $. you can always add it later.

also, a new chain and rear cassette are not imperative either at this stage. unless they are badly worn.

from a shifting point of view, there's no significant difference. perhaps as things wear out, X.9 may prove to last longer and shift better, but unsure. the main differences are in weight and quality of parts. X.7 uses a lot more plastic/pressed metal, whereas X.9 will use cast alloy. the bearings on the RD pulleys are not sealed on X.7.

if your style of riding is recreational free-/street-riding, and not so much offroad in poor weather/dust/mud, then X.7 is certainly hardy enough and should suit fine.

although have you considered:
    *ditching the FD, chain and cassette...till later when you can afford it or need it
    *just getting X.9 triggers and X.9 RD

for a 2x9 drivetrain you can probably go with a medium-cage RD too, instead of the long cage.

Really? I didn't even think that the stock chain, cassette and FD were compatible with Sram?

Is it possible to go with one chainring up front with 9gears in the back? And then i could get an X.9 RD and one shifter...

What chainring size is recommended (36-40t?). I am pretty sure it is possible to wheelie with one sprocket,correct? I would get one chainring because it would be easy to maintain (no FD), and it suits my style of riding.

Thanks
    Laurence

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Really? I didn't even think that the stock chain, cassette and FD were compatible with Sram?
    presuming your current setup is 9spd, then a shimano chain, cassette and FD are all compatible with SRAM 9spd (RD and shifter). really, the only things that must be matched are the rightside-shifter and RD because of SRAM's 1:1 actuation. obviously most people use triggers of the same brand/series, although not essential.

Is it possible to go with one chainring up front with 9gears in the back? And then i could get an X.9 RD and one shifter...
    for sure, although i'm not experienced enough to suggest what size chainring is best suited.

[size=1]
    [/size]
    [/size]

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    presuming your current setup is 9spd, then a shimano chain, cassette and FD are all compatible with SRAM 9spd (RD and shifter). really, the only things that must be matched are the rightside-shifter and RD because of SRAM's 1:1 actuation. obviously most people use triggers of the same brand/series, although not essential.

for sure, although i'm not experienced enough to suggest what size chainring is best suited.

thanks. my current setup is 8sp, so i will have to upgrade the whole thing...

Laurence

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    are ok. sorry if i misled you and got you all excited.

[size=1]
    [/size]
    [/size]

MBAA!
    I went to SRAM awhile back, from Shimano Deore LX. Shifting was much, much better than ever before.

Current set-up:
    SRAM X7shifters
    SRAM X9 rear der.
    Shimano XT front der.

The X7 front der. wouldnt fit on my bike (NRS) for whatever reason, so they threw on XT instead. Actually I asked for SRAM X7 all around, but SRAM X7 couldnt be find as far as RDs are concerned.

I would say DONT GO FOR IT. That price is outrageous. I went to my setup for not even 150$. SRAM is definitely better, but not 450$ better. If your going to dump that much money, you may as well go to XTR.
    One of my friends recently died of a coke overdose and it really got me thinking, "damn, maybe I should start drinking pepsi"

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    he is talking in AUS$, not US$ remember. and things tend to cost a bit more over here.

[size=1]
    [/size]
    [/size]

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    he is talking in AUS$, not US$ remember. and things tend to cost a bit more over here.

Exactly... It sucks As of currently i am in Canada , so i could slurge on the Sram gear, For cheaper . But I do need a new seat, i broke mine doing a 4 1/2ft drop . And im gonna get some pedals... i love the look and design of the Zu-Zu pedals!

I am thinkin' a WTB seat, and some Zu-Zu pedals.
    ODI Lock On Ruffian's/Clamps.

good choice?

What do you guys think of the Sram X-Gen FD, or could i kep my Alivio FD?
    What difference is 11-32 v. 11-34?
    Thanks
    Laurence
    Last edited by borry; 01-19-2006 at 09:12 PM.

EDR

What difference is 11-32 v. 11-34?
    Thanks
    Laurence
    IMO? Very little. You will compensate with your gear combo's accordingly. Others will maybe make this a very complicated topic but if you just like to ride then don't worry about it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    IMO? Very little. You will compensate with your gear combo's accordingly. Others will maybe make this a very complicated topic but if you just like to ride then don't worry about it.
    Thanks, very much appreciated.

Any opinions on the first part of my other post?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I am thinkin' a WTB seat, and some Zu-Zu pedals.
    ODI Lock On Ruffian's/Clamps.

good choice?
    i have used a couple WTB Rocket V saddles, and find them top value and comfy for my bott. the different models vary in width and weight, so ensure you find something that suits.

i'm not familiar with zu-zu, so no comment.

i have ODI Ruffian's and find them very good. a cinch to install, and i like their thickness and their texture/grip. of course, i wear gloves.

What do you guys think of the Sram X-Gen FD, or could i kep my Alivio FD?
    much mixed success with the XGen FD in terms of 'rub' at the extremes of gear selection. for most people, it's either too trivial to worry about, or it works perfectly fine with no rub. but some have been very annoyed, and ditch them in favour of a shimano. they're pretty cheap, so could be worth the risk, otherwise consider an XT.

[size=1]
    [/size]
    [/size]

borry,
    You seem to want to go with a 1X9 setup for whatever reason so I would say stick with your current derailler if it works now, it will work when you upgrade. Then if you do run only one ring up front you are not out any cash. Nothing on the X-gen FD is so exciting as to warrant going oout of your way to pick it up. Only diff between 8/9 speed FD is the cage is a tiny bit narrower for 9 speed but your old one will work - I had a setup like that for years without probs. (SRAM shifters, RD, cassette, chain and a Shimano FD)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast