mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Upgrading some drivetrain components, need advice

I have a rumblefish elite with deore/slx stuff on it and I ended up ordering some XT goodies to go on. this is going to allow me to use the takeoff parts to upgrade my old bike as well.

I got XT cranks, XT shifters, XT cassette, XT shadow plus RD, and a new chain.

My question (until I dig in and have more questions), is about the shifter cables. The bike is only about 7 months old, so everthing is in pretty good shape. Do i need to replace the cable housings when replacing the shifters, or just run the new cables into the old housings? do I use any type of lube on them?

Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Upgrading some drivetrain components, need advice

If they are clean and rust free then by all means reuse. It may be that you may not be able to use all the cable bits, or you may have to get one new inner wire. But all in all squirt some lube down there and go to town.

Bill

mtbr member
    As said above, if they don't show damage or corrosion I would reuse the housings, but would replace the cables. Getting them back through the housings after installing the new shifters can do damage to the internals of the housing, as the crimps/bends where they were attached to the derailleurs has deformed the cable.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    ok, the shifter came with new cables, so i think I'm good there. What type of lube would you recommend? chain lube ok, or so I need something more specific.

I probably have some motorcycle cable lube in the garage...but I know motorcycle chain lube is a totally different animal than lube for a bicycle.

mtbr member
    I have used both liquid teflon based, Triflow for example. But also have used heavier stuff like Phill Wood. Whatever you have should be fine.