More Bacon
    Jan 2009

Upgrading old chain rings on a 1995 XTR crankset.

Hello All,
    I'm trying to find some chainrings that will fit an old Shimano XTR crankset (M-900) that's just like this one here: http://www.togoparts.com/items/view_...d=308&iid=7462.

Since it's so old, and Shimano has funky sizing of their cranksets between their XT and XTR product lines, I thought I might be able to get some advice on finding a 22/32/44 chainrings. Currently, the beast has 26/36/48 -- and I no longer have that kind of power.

Any advice?

Not looking to spend a ton as I hope to get a whole new bike sometime this summer.

Thanks

All 26.5" all the time!
    The chainring bolt pattern on the M900 cranks is a very common standard of 110/74.

The smallest granny ring you can run without an adaptor** is 24 teeth, and the smallest middle ring is 34 teeth (or 33 teeth if you find one of these rare rings).

A 44 tooth large ring should be no problem.

**74mm to 58mm granny ring adaptors like the Avid and White Industries Limbo Spider have been off the market for at least 12 years. If you're hell bent on going with a 22t granny, you might have to try ebay.

More Bacon
    Jan 2009
    Thanks for the info. Indeed I couldn't find chainrings smaller than 24/34.

I may just look at getting a new (cheap) crankset. OR, I might just get teh 24/34 and retire the outer ring for now.