Phil from San Diego

Upgrading Drivetrain on 04 Giant Yukon

I'm convinced that the 18 year old kid at the bike shop where I bought my bike knows nothing. Asked him if I could upgrade my front e-type Acera derillure and he said I could, but can only use e-type derillures due to the frame/BB. Asked if I could upgrade the BB and crank, he said I probably can only use sqare taper BB due to the frame... Yet I see higher end components on the Iguana and Rainer which are the 2 next step up models with similar frames...

So.. has anyone actually replaced the low end derillure, crank, and/or BB on the Yukon or know if I can replace them with better and more popular components? For example, I'd like to go with LX derillures or higher (none e-type) and maybe one of the Race Face XC cranks and isis BB. I gotta think it's possible and easily done... which proves that kid is an idiot and probably the owner's son or something to still be working there. =p

Or.. I'm a n00b with a crappy entry level "recreational" bike that I can't upgrade! =/

Phil.

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Yes, the giant rincon and yukon use an E-type front derailer.

I haven't actually tried to put a normal front derailer on there, but a top swing will probably NOT work (clamp below the derailer plate). A bottom swing (derailer plate hangs from the clamp) might work, but I just am not sure.

You can upgrade to an E-type octalink BB and use the older shimano cranks, or you could probably easily use an ISIS bottom bracket and use the E-type front derailer with it.

What you can't do is use the new integrated bottom bracket cranks obviously.

The iguana and rainer are different frames, similer, but they are not the same. The situation here is the bottom bracket width and position relative to the seat tube.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    I did what your asking to my 2002 giant yukon. I changed the E-type FD to a Deore, and the Acera cranks to Alivio with removable chainrings.

I believe you need a new BB at the same time

As for type of FD... I tihkn it was a top swing(this is where it clamps lower down... right?).

Why can't you run intergrated cranks??

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bike_freak

Why can't you run intergrated cranks??
    Well, I should have specified, he can't run integrated cranks without getting a new front derailer (non-E type).

My reasoning for saying a top swing may not work is that it may not shift "close enough" to the frame, which is a limitation of top swing derailers on certian frames.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

Phil from San Diego
    So there is hope... and sounds like I could change out everything? New BB, crank, and the front derillure?

Phil.

Hail to the King, baby

I did that...

Quote Originally Posted by Prexus2005
    I'm convinced that the 18 year old kid at the bike shop where I bought my bike knows nothing. Asked him if I could upgrade my front e-type Acera derillure and he said I could, but can only use e-type derillures due to the frame/BB. Asked if I could upgrade the BB and crank, he said I probably can only use sqare taper BB due to the frame... Yet I see higher end components on the Iguana and Rainer which are the 2 next step up models with similar frames...

So.. has anyone actually replaced the low end derillure, crank, and/or BB on the Yukon or know if I can replace them with better and more popular components? For example, I'd like to go with LX derillures or higher (none e-type) and maybe one of the Race Face XC cranks and isis BB. I gotta think it's possible and easily done... which proves that kid is an idiot and probably the owner's son or something to still be working there. =p

Or.. I'm a n00b with a crappy entry level "recreational" bike that I can't upgrade! =/

Phil.
    On my 2003 Giant Rincon.

I replaced the stock BB with a Shimano 68mm ES51 BB, stock crank with LX hollowtech crank, and the stock FD with a top pull XT M750 derailleur, not an e-type.
    Parties are a cancer on democracy.

Parties are like *****. Any gets in, you're f'cked.

A party vote IS a wasted vote.

Phil from San Diego
    The Rincon... I think that has the same frame geometry as the Yukon? So if you did it with the that Rincon.. I gotta think I could do it on my Yukon.

Heck, maybe I'll just pick up a set of new cranks/bb/FD and try it. If I can't get them to work, I can always return/exchange them right?

Phil.

Hail to the King, baby

I am running 8 spd...

Quote Originally Posted by Prexus2005
    The Rincon... I think that has the same frame geometry as the Yukon? So if you did it with the that Rincon.. I gotta think I could do it on my Yukon.

Heck, maybe I'll just pick up a set of new cranks/bb/FD and try it. If I can't get them to work, I can always return/exchange them right?

Phil.
    using a SRAM PG850 cassette, with an XT M750 long cage rear derailleur, LX chain, and cheapo Shimano 8 spd Easyfire shifters, that came stock on the Rincon. I can shift into any gear without any drivetrain rub, but of course the extreme gear positions will result in accelerated wear of the sprocket teeth.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...915#post875915

I find 8 spd to be more care free, so that I am not always adjusting the drivetrain. I just clean, lube, and go.

I strongly recommend that you lose the e-type derailleur. See this thread.

@#$%^&* Shimano bottom bracket mounted derailler

old_dude
    Parties are a cancer on democracy.

Parties are like *****. Any gets in, you're f'cked.

A party vote IS a wasted vote.