mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Upgrading Drive Train

Hola everyone, if you have time i would appreciate some feedback, or some help with a couple questions I have about upgrading my drivetrain. I'm starting out with an 8 speed k2 that's a couple years old, it currently has an esp 9.0 rear derailleur, and matching shifters, but i'm not a huge fan of twist shift, so i'm looking to upgrade to an rd-m962 XTR rear derailleur, and i just purchased 8 speed XT shifters and levers to match with the brakes i've recently upgraded. So here are my questions:

- Will the mega 9 m962 work with an 8 speed drive train? If so, what modifications do i need to make to make it work?

- Will the m962 be compatible with the xt 8 speed shifters? Or are they only compatible with mega 9 shifters?

I know these questions may seem a bit noobish to you pros, but I just love to grip it and rip it, I'm not very knowledgable about the technical bike stuff, but I want to learn! Your responses to this post would be very beneficial, and extremely appreciated, feel free to simply respond, or e-mail me at peterthuener@hotmail.com.. Thank you so much for your time!!

8 and 9 speed rear derailleurs are essentially the

same except for marketing; they cover the same range, i.e. the 9 speed cogset is the same width as an 8 speed cogset. Your Shimano 8 speed shifter, with an 8 speed cogset and chain, will work fine with the "9 speed" rear derailleur, no modifications required.

I'm not fully up on my Shimano model numbers but that might be a rapid rise style derailleur, so the action might be opposite of what you might have had in the past if you've used older Shimano drivetrains (and would make the wrong gear number show if your shifters have numbered indicator windows).
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique