mtbr member
    May 2013

Upgrading to Deore XT FD-M771 worth it ?

I have a 2008 Kona Cinder Cone with a Deore front derailleur (don't know the model number exactly as I didn't check it yet). It's a top swing bottom pull version.

Since I always liked Deore XT components, I'm thinking about upgrading to a FD-M771, which is a bottom swing (I think it's simpler/better than top swing) but I wonder if that upgrade is worth the cost (albeit small) ? I'm working upgrading the drivetrain to XT bit by bit and mine has a 9-speed cassette. I don't want to get into the 10-speed thing.

official eMpTyBRain
    Since you are planning to upgrade anyway, go ahead and buy the XT FD and all the other parts when ever you find them for a great price. The question is, do you really need it right now? Is your current Deore FD shifting well? Perhaps you can slowly buy up all the XT components and hang on to them until most or all of your drive train needs replacement.

That's what I've done. I have an entire brand new XTR drive train ready for when the time comes to replace worn out components.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    It's not worth it unless there is something wrong with yours.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I know that with top pull, the cable attachment position is different -- low clamp is behind the seatpost; high clamp has the cable mounted between the back and the side.

If the cable mounting position differs with bottom-pull, it would be best to stay with the same style. Hopefully someone else knows and will comment.

Anyway, I converted from 3x to 2x and needed to replace the FD as a result. I went from SLX to XTR (got a good deal on it). It is lighter and looks more precision-made/higher quality. However, the SLX worked fine. If I didn't need a 2x I would have run the SLX into the ground before upgrading it.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Mine works fine indeed so I guess I'll wait till it break before upgrading unless I find a awesome deal on it.