mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Upgrading Deore crankset to XT worth it? Or Upgrading Cassette / Chain?

I'm currently using the stock Deore 445 Hollowtech Octalink crankset that came with my bike. I'm wondering what performance benefits are there to upgrading to XT 752 Octalink besides lighter weight? I've heard XT crankarms are stiffer so does that mean I'll climb faster / easier? I know XT alloy rings don't last as long as Deore steel rings...

I'm slowly upgrading everything to XT. I've already got XT shifters and derailleurs, large difference I've noticed in shifting performance already. My cassette and crankset are Deore while the chain is SRAM PC59. I'm thinking what's more beneficial, upgrade crankset or upgrade cassette / chain?

I doubt you could tell the difference between the two cranksets. I finally "upgraded" from an old square taper to a XT760 crankset (mostly because I was on the road when an unacceptable creaking in my old Cook crank was driving me nuts and couldn't just use an older crankset from the stockpile); there's no noticeable difference in stiffness to me. The other old square taper I've used for a while, an LX, was just as stiff as far as I can tell.

If you're doing the upgrade when something's worn out, go for it, but I wouldn't go out of my way for a crank/cassette/chain "upgrade" for performance reasons.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Elitest thrill junkie
    Your hollow Deore crankset is too similer to the M752, not that big of a difference. Your crankset is virtually identical to the M750/51 series, and the 752 wasn't a huge improvement (M760 was a huge improvement in stiffness though).

The M750/51 series technology was trickled-down to your deore crankset.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.