rg1
    mtbr member
    May 2010

Upgrading an 8sp

I have a 8sp fisher wahoo 2010. I need to replace the rear cassette I was also gonna do the RD and FD. Plus shifters and chain. I have a deore RD Altus FD and a sram 11/32 cassette. Any recommendations? Currently my bike is giving me shifting probs and LBS advised I change cassette and chain soon. I would like smoother shifting if that's possible I didn't want to replace front chainrings or cranks at this time as ey aren't giving probs

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Are you going 9 or 10 speed?

rg1
    mtbr member
    May 2010
    Can I? I would like to. Is there room to increase the cogs on a cassette.

mtbr member
    May 2012

Re: Upgrading an 8sp

I think you can go to 9sp without changing the crank. The cassette would fit the hub.
    If you also want a performance upgrade, look for either Shimano SLX or Sram X7

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    You can go nine speed cheap using most of your existing stuff. You would just need a new shifter, cassette and chain. That would give you one more gear and a lower low gear of a 36 as opposed to a 32.

A ten speed conversion is a bit more detailed. Cassette, chain, shifter, and rear der. THe crank should work but the front der would have to be fiddled with. You still only get the same low gear of a 36, but of course you get the exra cog.

Bill

mtbr member
    I have the same exact bike, same year. I really want a new bike but that is not going to happen any time soon so I have also been thinking about spending a few bucks for new shifters, FD, RD, and cassette. Would be better to slowly spend the cash, but it sounds like if I try to go 2X10 it would need to be done pretty much all in one shot.

Does anyone sell a complete set of these items? I would like to just buy a full SLX or XT build set including FD+RD, cassette, chain, shifter, and chainset.

The real goal would be to have a better shifting bike (not happy with shifts now) and save a little bit on weight.

Not planning on doing anything for brakes at this time. Thanks.

rg1
    mtbr member
    May 2010
    You can get an entire kit from blue sky cycling. I hear ya boss. I would love a new bike. Just not in the cards now. Besides I really have no issues with this bike. I actually like it. Does all I ask it to do xc wise. Frame is solid. Some will say not worth it but i disagree. To get into a new bike with these components is gonna cost alot more. I ordered xt components. Just rear cassette FD rd and chain. And shifters. But you can get the kit with cranks and chainrings as well.

mtbr member
    Thanks I will check them out.

mtbr member

Upgrading an 8sp

rg So you have a 3X10 now with the original crank and chainring setup up front? Everything else is new XT.

Is this installed on the bike? Any issues installing or while riding?

Thanks.

rg1
    mtbr member
    May 2010
    Boss. I have a 3x9 setup now. All xt except for the cranks and chainring which like I said were fine. Shifts so much better. I upgraded my wheels last year after I bent one. So went tubeless.

mtbr member

Upgrading an 8sp

I have had a few hard hits but never managed to bend a rim. After my fourth ride in a row with a pinch flat I went with better tires. The stiffer sidewalks and larger size seems to help a lot. I am hoping that I will not have to worry about going flat again any time soon but the tubeless route still appeals to me a lot. The stock tires were just too flimsy and the sidewall seemed to roll around even under minimal loading through corners. The feeling of your tire wobbling under you through a corner just does not inspire confidence.

The shifting is the same. Specifically the RD. Sometimes it refuses to shift. One click does nothing. Another click and it will jump 2 gears. Again nothing that instills confidence in the guy riding the bike. I just want it to work the way it should. I would also like to go 2X10 if I do upgrade. The simplicity of a 2X system is very appealing to me.

rg1
    mtbr member
    May 2010
    I had the exact same prob shifting. Frustrated the hell out of me. But I eventually wore out the cassette that's what prompted this. I'm keeping the bike it does all I need it to. So I upgraded the shifters and derraliuers. I feel if it ain't broke don't fix it. And I only spend what I need to get what I want out of it. I only use two rings in front so I understand. But for me it just didn't seem worth it to spend the money on new cranks and chainring so I just kept em. If they break so be it. I replace and upgrade. Then I'll have a 2x9 but for now I just keep her going. Good luck with yours.