mtbr member

Upgrading from 7spd to 8, need reccomendation for gear size

I'm in the process of upgrading my old Trek 830 7 speed to 8 speed, right now I have a 12-28 7 speed cassette, it originally came with a 13-30. I have never been happy with the 12-28 I seem to never be able to find the right gear, it's either to high or to low. I got along much better with the 13-30.

I'm not sure what my front chain rings are, it's the stock Altus AT20 crank, eventually I plan to change out the crank, just don't have the funds to do so right now.

My riding mainly consist of light trail riding and paved trail riding, and was wondering where a good place to start would be with an 8 speed cassette.

The rims I'm going to use are MAVIC Ceramic X517, with LX Hubs, that I bought a couple years ago and haven't got around to installing.

Former Bike Wrench
    If you liked the 13-30 7 speed...try an 11-30 8 speed cassette...The Shimano XT version would be an excellent choice.

willtsmith_nwi
    What wheel are you going to upgrade to? 7 speed wheels have different size freehubs then 8/9 speed wheels. By the time you're done with this adventure you may find that a new bike is cheaper.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by willtsmith_nwi
    What wheel are you going to upgrade to? 7 speed wheels have different size freehubs then 8/9 speed wheels. By the time you're done with this adventure you may find that a new bike is cheaper.
    I already have the wheels I bought them a few years ago then took a break from riding, so I never got around to installing them. The rims where built by Wheelsmith and are Mavic Ceramic X517 Rims with LX hubs and Wheelsmith spokes (32 hole). Hopefully the LX canti's I installed will be ok with the ceramic coated rims.

I also have the parts to convert to 8 speed, XT rear Derailleur, SRAM Attack Shimano compatible shifters, Dia Compe levers, and an XTR front Derailleur.

All I really need to complete the project is an 8 speed cassette, rim tape, presta tubes, and new tires.

whistler
    Mar 2004

singlespeed it!

xt cassettes are definitely the way to go.

even better though, for the riding you're doing, why not just make it singlespeed? you'll love it. to try it out, all you need is something like this for your 8/9 speed hub:

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...&category=2621

leave the chain in the middle ring, use your same chain, and use your derailleur as a chain tensioner. if you love it, take off the shifters, front derailleur, inner ring on the crankset, and replace your big ring with a real light bashguard (keep your pant cuff off the chain and it looks better) like this:

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...81&category=58

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkalewis
    That's pretty funny. The guy says he can never seem to find the right gear on a 12-28 7-speed and you tell him to go singlespeed. I mean, I'm cool with people promoting the bike setups that they like but come on.