Thread: Upgrading?

Mobster
    Jul 2007

Upgrading?

I just started mountain biking and went on a couple trails with some friends. I got the bike as a hand me down and its a awsome bike, I think. Its a Trek 7000, the only thing is its about 15+ years old and nothing has ever been replaced. I just want to know what I should do and what to replace.

The front and rear derailleurs are Shimano Deore LX as well as the crank. The shifters are Deroe DX. Like I said nothing has been replaced, and the bike shows its age. When I shift the rear gears it lags for a couple seconds, maybe 5-10. When I shift the front gears(sorry I dont know all the terminology) I have to push the shifter in really hard before it will shift up, going down its not a problem. Also I noticed when going up a slippery(gravel) hill and Im peddling hard it creaks and I can hear the chain rubbing on something. I wasnt too worried but now I want to get everything fixed.

Here are the pics, can you recommend an upgrade path? I dont mind sticking with the Deore line, but Im curious if I can use a 8-9 speed derailleur with my 7 speed. Im not competing or anything this is just recreational and the beginning of mountain biking for me.

Thanks!

XTR is the shizz-nizz...
    I've been upgrading my 2004 bike and after all the money I spent... I should have just bought a new bike...

Just my .02 cents...