mtbr member

upgrading to 2x10

So, I have a 2010 voodoo canzo that I haven't ridden much. It's basically been my loaner bike when friends and family are in town (I ride my ss)

Unfortunately as a loaner, it's getting kinda beat and I noticed last night when I did take it out for a ride that the shifting is starting to be chunky and pretty sure my bottom bracket is grinding away into nothingness...

I'm going to tear it down, clean and rebuild it when I put in the new BB.
    My question is, what's involved in upgrading from 3x9 to 2x10 - I have all XT shifters and F/R der.
    I assume I need the rear der and shifter as well as the crankset and rear cluster - can the front XT shifter and front der (SLX M661) be re-used for the 2 chainring front?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    You have some options on upgrading from 3x9 to 2x10. Remember the basics...the front derailleur and crankset/chainrings have NOTHING to do with the rear cassette/derailleur when it comes to shifting setups except for sizing the rear derailleur (short, medium or long cage).

Let's start with the rear. All you need to upgrade from 9 speed to 10 speed is a new shifter, derailleur, chain and cassette. If this is all you upgraded then you would now have a 3x10 setup that uses all of your existing 9 speed crankset, front shifter and derailleur. A 10 speed chain will work just fine with a 9 speed front derailleur and crankset as the inner part of the chain is the same width as a 9 speed chain.

If you want to change the front setup to 2x10 from 3x10 you could simply take off the big ring and install a bash guard in its place to make a simple 2x10 front setup. To go one step further, you could also swap out your front chainrings to something a little more 2x10 friendly like a 26/36 or 26/38 setup. Again, still using your existing derailleur, front shifter and cranks.

If you want to go 'all in' then you could just get yourself a new 2x10 crankset, front shifter and front derailleur to go along with your new 10 speed rear setup. It just comes down to what your budget is and how much you want to spend.

I hope this helps and answers your questions.

mtbr member
    exactly the info I was looking for - thank you!