OnTheTrailAgain

Upgrade from stock crankset...

My Roscoe I has a stock Shimano M532-L 44/32/22 crankset with an integrated BB spindle.

I want to swap it out for a Race Face Evolve XC X-Type.
    I'll buy it and have the LBS swap it for me before I take the bike out of the shop.

Anybody have any experience with replacing their stock Shimano M532-L with a Race Face crankset?

I am a work in progress
    I just bought the Raceface Evolve XC X-Type crankset. Best price I could find, including shipping was from http://treefortbikes.com/, free shipping over $125, crankset was $144 I think (i also bought the required tools and other stuff). I am swapping mine out myself, but it hasn't arrived yet so I cannot give you any info on it, sorry haha.

ETA: Pricepoint has it for $125, but you have to pay $10.25 shipping, so $135. But if you are ordering other stuff the shipping will go up and treefort works out to be the better deal. Either way. Good luck
    Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive.

FWIW mostly what you gain, or rather lose, when you upgrade a crankset is weight. Performance change is minimal, although some chainrings shift better than others (I like Shimano myself but RaceFace's work well, too). Is your shop going to give you credit for an unused crank or are you going to keep it and sell it?
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

OnTheTrailAgain
    Quote Originally Posted by gr8outdrsmn
    I just bought the Raceface Evolve XC X-Type crankset. Best price I could find, including shipping was from http://treefortbikes.com/, free shipping over $125, crankset was $144 I think (i also bought the required tools and other stuff). I am swapping mine out myself, but it hasn't arrived yet so I cannot give you any info on it, sorry haha.

ETA: Pricepoint has it for $125, but you have to pay $10.25 shipping, so $135. But if you are ordering other stuff the shipping will go up and treefort works out to be the better deal. Either way. Good luck
    Friday, I found an Evolve XC set for only $90!
    I knew I should've gotten it!

Right now, it's at $129. basically.

I'm figuring that $150. was a total budget (total meaning everything I need for it).

But...I found something that blew me away: a Shimano XT 770 Crankset for only $185!
    I can't look the other way on that one!

I might go with the XT (even though I lvoe the Evolve's looks way more).

I wish Race Face made Evolve looking cranksets in their higher lines. They seem to be the only manufacturer who's higher end cranks look "cheaper" than their lower end cranks. IMO that is.

(I can hear the XT lovers now..."FOR $185.00, GET THE XT! GET THE XT! GET THE XT!"

OnTheTrailAgain
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    FWIW mostly what you gain, or rather lose, when you upgrade a crankset is weight. Performance change is minimal, although some chainrings shift better than others (I like Shimano myself but RaceFace's work well, too). Is your shop going to give you credit for an unused crank or are you going to keep it and sell it?
    Hey BFFL,

In my case, if I go with the Race Face, I'll drop a measely 29 grams, but I've read that the Race Face is a much better performing crankset than stock Shimano M's.

As for the older crank, it and anything I take off of my Roscoe will be transferred to my '07 Gary Fisher Opie.

I am a work in progress
    Wow, $185 sounds good, nice find. I glanced around and the lowest I am finding on that is around $220. Sometimes you are just in the right place at the right time.

OnTheTrailAgain
    Wow, $185 sounds good, nice find. I glanced around and the lowest I am finding on that is around $220. Sometimes you are just in the right place at the right time.
    $185. definitely is a too good to ignore price.
    For the same price, I can get a Race Face Dues which isn't as visually appealing as the Race Face Evolve,
    but it only weighs in at 815g's VS the XT's 851g's.

For me, the only weight savings that matter top me are 1/4lb savings.
    The XT will save me about 103g's while the Dues will save me a 139g's.
    But, it's not about weight for me right now...it's about getting that M532 off of my bike!

I'm leaning towards the XT now even though it weighs more.
    It has a far better reputation, it already comes standard on the primo Roscoe (the III) so I know that it will fit my bike perfectly.
    It's the most prudent choice.

While this is a great crank, I won't be completely satisfied until it has an XTR set on it later on in life (say by the middle of the season) and whatever crankset I put on now, will end up being swapped into my Opie, so it will always be kept.

I didn't plan on spending so much for a temporary crankset, but with there only being a $55. difference and one crank being super temporary while the other being a definite keeper and of much higher quality, I can't pass this XT.

Damn...I think I just answered my question.
    I guess it's time to whip out my credit card and to order that XT.

But before I do...Same OP, only now with the Dues as the Crankset to compare.
    Last edited by 2ndgen; 03-29-2009 at 07:37 PM.

I am a work in progress
    haha, it's funny how easy it is to talk yourself into spending money. I do it all the time. I always find a way to justify just a little more.

OnTheTrailAgain
    haha, it's funny how easy it is to talk yourself into spending money. I do it all the time. I always find a way to justify just a little more.
    I've been like a frickin' woman in a shoe store lately!

I just can't say no to a good deal.

I picked up 6 MTB jerseys tech/material wicking for $15. each when I was darn ready to pay $30. just a few months ago.

Not only that, picked up a sweet $1200. road bike for only $725. and they messed up and sold me an '09 for an '08 leftover price.

Was getting ready to buy no-name brand Coolmax cycling sox for about $8./ea., but found brand name Enduro's @ 3 pairs for $7.99.

Was going to shell out between $100.-$125. for '09 Camelbak NV H.A.W.G. (the '08 is at $64.), got it for $79.

Picked up wicking Champion/Adidas Gear (short, long pants/fitted cuffs great for cycling, long sleeve shirt, short sleeve base, nice Black Diamond windproof cycling jacket) all at $13. each!

I'm like Jim Carey in The Mask..."Somebody Stop Me!"

OnTheTrailAgain
    Here it is!

Bike - Race Face - Evolve XC X-Type Crankset With BB....[SIZE="5"]$93.75[/SIZE]

http://greenfishsports.com/product/3...t-With-BB.html

I have to get it. As I thought about getting the XT, it was just one step away from the XTR.

I'll wait until I get the XTR instead (and I might be able to get it at below the average $450. by the time I'm ready to pull the trigger on it).

So, I think I'm going to go with the Race Face. At $94. bucks, it's alright. Then, I'll go all out for the XTR.

Step away from the credit card, sir....NOW! I'm warning you, sir! You "heard" there was a difference, eh?
    suum quique

OnTheTrailAgain
    Step away from the credit card, sir....NOW! I'm warning you, sir! You "heard" there was a difference, eh?
    "Hi, my name is 2ndGen and I'm a shop-a-holic."

OnTheTrailAgain
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndgen
    Here it is!

Bike - Race Face - Evolve XC X-Type Crankset With BB....[SIZE="5"]$93.75[/SIZE]

http://greenfishsports.com/product/3...t-With-BB.html

HOLY CRAP...PLUS FREE SHIPPING?

Must resist...must resist!

I can imagine Credit Doctors around my body yelling "Stay away from the light! Do not go into the light!"

Then, a long continuous beeeeeep...then; "OMGosh! We're losing him! Clear!"

Hmmm...let me see what else GreenFish has on sale...BRB!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    they were only 63 bucks on chainlove a week ago.

so you havent even picked up the bike and already decided you dont like the crank?

OnTheTrailAgain
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsmoto
    they were only 63 bucks on chainlove a week ago.

so you havent even picked up the bike and already decided you dont like the crank?

I didn't like the crank way before I ever owned the bike.

As for Chainlove, I just subscibed to their alerts so I'll be able to catch up on some things.

$63. would've been sweet, but $93 ain't bad.

Seriously though, thanks for the Chainlove heads up.

I've ridden the Roscoe and that crank just doesn't do it for me.
    The Roscoe III I rode with the XT responded far quicker and I think it has a lot to do with the crankset.

I've ridden the Roscoe and that crank just doesn't do it for me.
    The Roscoe III I rode with the XT responded far quicker and I think it has a lot to do with the crankset.

You have very sensitive legs? Can't say I've ever felt a difference in the many different cranks I've had in terms of "quick response". It's your money Why not go for some serious crank bling instead of just going to what is basically the same level of crank?
    suum quique

OnTheTrailAgain
    You have very sensitive legs? Can't say I've ever felt a difference in the many different cranks I've had in terms of "quick response". It's your money Why not go for some serious crank bling instead of just going to what is basically the same level of crank?
    Excellent points BFFL:

Yes, I can feel differences in cranks (stiffeness, responsiveness, smoothness of operation, etc...)
    and have been able to notice that since I rode BMX bikes 30 years ago.

And, the Race Face is certainly better than the Shimano M and it'll be
    something that'll tide me over until I can afford an XTR crank or better.

I'd love to slap on an XTR now, but money is tight.

I'm also considering an XT. Seriously considering it actually.

I am a work in progress
    I'm tempted to send mine right back to treefort when it gets here tomorrow and order that one, haha, but I will not do that to them. Oh well life goes on

OnTheTrailAgain
    I'm tempted to send mine right back to treefort when it gets here tomorrow and order that one, haha, but I will not do that to them. Oh well life goes on
    You paid a great price for it. And TreeFort is a good place.
    I ordered from them and they gave me good service.
    Now if they were some place like Sports Authority who screwed me,
    I'd say send it back in an instant, but TreeFort?
    They are cool.

Treat that crank like a gorgeous hooker...mount it and ride the heck out of it!
    Because once it puts a smile on your face, it won't matter what you paid for it!

I am a work in progress
    haha, so true. And to protect it I am going to be ordering this beauty real soon Black Spire