mtbr member
    May 2012

Upgrade or Replace Shifter / Brake System

Have a Trek 4300 / 2009, somehow, I managed to bend the left trigger pull lever where as it won't pass under the mounting clamp. These are stock Shimano EF50 shifter/brake setup.
    The left needs to be replaced, could try to rebuild the shifter...NAH!. Replace just the left, or go with Sram Attack setup and separate brake levers for the left and right, or would the Shimano acera EF60 be compatible? Recommendations Appreciated

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    While you *could* replace the shifter/brake pod, it's probably not worth the shipping you'd have to pay a shop to order you one. They are very uncommon online, but if you did find one, it would be serviceable.

If you are sticking with cable pull brakes, get the attack shifters and a pair of speed dial 7's, as they will increase your adjustability many times over what you had on there.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    While you *could* replace the shifter/brake pod, it's probably not worth the shipping you'd have to pay a shop to order you one. They are very uncommon online, but if you did find one, it would be serviceable.

If you are sticking with cable pull brakes, get the attack shifters and a pair of speed dial 7's, as they will increase your adjustability many times over what you had on there.
    Thanks for your response, I was wavering on going with the "split" set up as you described, I ended up finding the exact same stock set up on Sunrise Cyclery..very surprised, as you mentioned, they're pretty much obsolete. Thanks!

37544: Shimano ST-EF50 EZ Fire Shifters/V-Brake Levers, 8 Speed (37544)
    Color: Black plus Free Shipping !

So for now, I'll keep stock and plan on moving up to the Attack / Avid 7's in the future.
    Last edited by prepsheriff; 08-30-2012 at 12:31 PM. Reason: added comment

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by prepsheriff View Post
    Have a Trek 4300 / 2009, somehow, I managed to bend the left trigger pull lever where as it won't pass under the mounting clamp.
    Could you take it apart and bend it back?