mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Upgrade Mountain Bike?? Mongoose Sector??

Hello,

Im posting on here to get some advice on a mountain bike I own. Im wondering if its possible to upgrade my mountian bike with better parts for shifting ect.

I dont know too much about doing this or if its even possible, even worth doing or what parts I would need. I would appreciate any feedback on this!

I've owned my bike now for about 3yrs and it works ok but I want to start hitting some more advanced trails and the cheap parts for shifting gears just are not cutting it. Im constantly trying to shift gears and poping out of gears whenever I get on more difficult trails.

I have a Mongoose Sector and here are the specs on the bike.

Product Description
    The Mongoose Sector 26-inch Full Suspension Mountain Bike is designed for off-road riding with a full-suspension, handcraft aluminum frame and alloy rims and bar ends. It's equipped with a 24-speed drive train and Shimano EZ Fire STI shifting. The front and rear suspension work together to give you a smooth overall ride by absorbing harsh bumps, both on and off-road. Plus, with the MOZO Vibe suspension fork you'll be guaranteed a ride easy with increased handling. With EZ Fire shifting, you choose gears by pulling a forefinger trigger or pushing a thumb button, which puts the bike in the next higher or lower gear. And the Shimano Altus rear derailleur gives smooth, precise shifting every time. You'll stop on a dime with these powerful, reliable front disc brakes and rear alloy linear-pull brakes and the aluminum-alloy rims are strong and light for great breaking surfaces that will not rust.
    Specifications

Bike Type: Full suspension mountain bike
    Type of Shifter: Shimano EZ STI Fire shifting
    Brakes: Front disc, rear alloy linear-pull
    Fork Type: MOZO Vibe R suspension fork
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano Altus
    Handle Bars: Flat
    Saddle: Mongoose racing saddle with extra padding
    Rims: Alloy
    Bar Ends: Yes

ups and downs
    Skip the upgrade and save the money for a better bike. Even if you could get the drivetrain to work better by spending $400 for an new drivetrain, everything else will begin failing on more advanced trail riding. It isn't a good base level to upgrade, it's all entry level stuff especially the frame and suspension.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada