mtbr member
    Oct 2016

Upgrade To 9-spd XT from Acera

I have a stock 2016 Rockhopper Sport. Well, mostly stock - I've upgraded the grips and put SAINT flats on it. I've only been riding since May.

About two months after purchasing I broke my chain and ever since that time, I've had nothing but issues with down-shifting. Into cog 4 and into cog 5 the down-shifting is awful. If I ride my thumb on the shifter, it will *sometimes* shift but usually I have to down-shift rapidly twice and then up-shift once. To say this is annoying is an understatement.

What I've tried:

1. Replaced the chain (after the break).
    2. Replaced the shifter cable.
    3. Re-lubed, cleaned, re-lubed. I use a dry lube.

The RD is an Acera 9-spd. IMHO, it's junk but so are my skills. I'm looking at upgrading the the following:

1. RD from Acera to the XT M772 SGS
    2. Altus shifters to Deore MT590 shifters
    3. Whatever the standard cassette is to a new 11-34 9spd cassette
    4. Chain to Deore XT HG93 chain

I looked at a full upgrade from 3x9 to 2x10 but the cost almost doubles in doing that. Plus, I'm almost 50 and my thinking (from what I've read here and other places) is that the 3x9 setup will offer me a larger range of gear combinations. If this forum thinks otherwise, I'd like to hear.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Teufelhunden View Post
    I
    2. Replaced the shifter cable.
    Did you replace the housing too? Often damage is invisible.

Your current derailleur should be capable of shifting well but the derailleur hanger should be checked whether you upgrade components or not.

2x10 gives more than enough gear range and IME there's greater availability for 10 speed parts @ equal or less cost than comparable 9-speed., for example xt 11-34 cassettes @ $30. If I were starting from scratch though I'd be tempted to go 1x11, still plenty of range even for an old man.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Did you replace the housing too? Often damage is invisible.
    Yep, replaced the housing too. Forgot to mention that.

Your current derailleur should be capable of shifting well but the derailleur hanger should be checked whether you upgrade components or not.
    Will do. I also forgot to mention that my LBS checked to make sure the RD wasn't bent with a gauge. Would that also check the hanger? I would think so.

2x10 gives more than enough gear range and IME there's greater availability for 10 speed parts @ equal or less cost than comparable 9-speed., for example xt 11-34 cassettes @ $30. If I were starting from scratch though I'd be tempted to go 1x11, still plenty of range even for an old man.
    Still working on the costs for each. In all honesty, I *rarely* get in the biggest chainring - I really don't need it at all. I did a 15 mile ride on asphalt with the bike back in September but have since bought a road bike for... Well... The road.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    The shop actually checks the hanger with the guage.

Your description is common symptoms of a cable issue, but you checked that. Perhaps the shifter is faulty?

Sounds like a solid plan. The deore group is solid and will last. 10sp has the advantage of greater parts availability but nothing performance wise. Unless you are buying all at once to save on shipping,, you could try just cassette and chain or just shifters to see what happens.

Just a flesh wound
    Is the loop at the end of your swing arm to the RD too tight? Did either of the cogs #4 and or #5 get bent a bit when the original chain broke? Just a couple of ideas to look at. The higher end stuff is lighter, has better fit and finish, but at 2 months you wouldn't notice a difference, functionally. If you lube your chain and change it when the "stretch" is too long, you'll get 1,500 miles out of your drivetrain. No need to change to 2 x 10 unless you decide to change the whole drivetrain. Not worth it IMO. Make sure you don't have a stiff link on the chain. That causes problems.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Prophet Julio View Post
    Is the loop at the end of your swing arm to the RD too tight? Did either of the cogs #4 and or #5 get bent a bit when the original chain broke?
    The original chain and housing were pulled kind of tight IMHO. The replacement has a nice loop. I asked that question of the mechanics in my LBS. I don't remember what they told me but they did not seem concerned.

No need to change to 2 x 10 unless you decide to change the whole drivetrain. Not worth it IMO.
    Thanks

Make sure you don't have a stiff link on the chain. That causes problems.
    Looking at the chain as it goes through the derailleur, it looks fine. I didn't notice any stiff links.

Just a flesh wound
    Are any of the teeth on the cassette bent or warped?
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

mtbr member
    Dont go 9 speed. Its time is over. Im still on 9 speed, but the second anything breaks im jumping ship. Starting from scratch, the price difference between the two is nothing.

You dont even have to upgrade the left shifter. No problem using 3x10. Im running 2x9, I just removed the big ring and use shorter bolts.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Dont go 9 speed. Its time is over. Im still on 9 speed, but the second anything breaks im jumping ship. Starting from scratch, the price difference between the two is nothing.
    Yep, I just put the numbers in a spreadsheet. The cost between the two is negligible:

Upgrade To 9-spd XT from Acera-screen-shot-2016-10-31-05.52.40.png

The red numbers in the first table are a full upgrade to 2x10. The black numbers are upgrading to 3x10. Disregard the brakes and rotors - I was doing something else with that.

Did I miss anything? Get something just completely wrong? At what point in time does the "trickle-down" technology make its way down?

...and I didn't think this could get anymore complicated.

I appreciate all of the replies and comments.

MTB B'dos
    I absolutely agree, if you were just going to do the RD, maybe, but if you're going to upgrade the entire DT, then definitely just move to 10spd and as 1S said, don't worry about the front shifter, it will still work fine and you can continue to use your cranks and FD. If you want to go 2x, just remove the big ring and if anything upgrade the middle to a bigger ring. Then if by chance you don't find this working to your liking (can't see why it wouldn't) then buy the new 10spd crank.

Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post

You dont even have to upgrade the left shifter. No problem using 3x10. Im running 2x9, I just removed the big ring and use shorter bolts.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Teufelhunden View Post
    Did I miss anything?
    I think you could do a little better on prices. I've seen 10-sp xt shifters for $35, xt cassettes are $30 at competetive cyclist, Deore 2x cranksets are available for $70, etc.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    10sp is solid plan too. Without a new crankset jb mentioned, your high gearing will be limited by your 32 in a 2x. That's what I run, but it isn't big enough gearing for many. Check your crankset to see if your chainrings are riveted or bolted to allow a ring change.

MTB B'dos
    For the 11-34 only, 11-36 is the usual $45ish. Just mentioning if he wanted 11-36, but honestly coming from an Acera 9spd 34 should be what he already had.

Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    I think you could do a little better on prices. I've seen 10-sp xt shifters for $35, xt cassettes are $30 at competetive cyclist, Deore 2x cranksets are available for $70, etc.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Folks,

Thanks for all the help and advice. Parts are ordered and should be here Monday. Converting to 2x10 (well, 3x10 because I forgot to order the chainring bolts - ).