official eMpTyBRain

Two wheelsets, two different cassette sizes, chain length issue?

I'm building a medium duty AM wheel set to use for more technical stuff when I am riding out of my area. My current XC wheel set has an 11-32 cassette on it and I'd like to mount an 11-34 cassette on the AM wheel set. Will the 2 extra teeth on the lower geared cassette (11-34) cause a short chain length concern?

For use on a FS frame with 100mm travel.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    I doubt it, especially if you don't cross chain it. Be easy to try, though.

You do have a spare chain anyway, right?

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoban View Post
    I doubt it, especially if you don't cross chain it. Be easy to try, though.

You do have a spare chain anyway, right?
    I already figured I'd have to be weary of cross chaining if this could work. I do have other chains but I'm hoping to avoid having to go through that much effort each time I change wheel sets.

Thanks for your reply.

Plays with tools
    Depends on how you sized your chain. If you went big/big plus 2 links like SRAM suggests you'll be on the edge of disaster. This is why I absolutely do not like their method, it doesn't allow for very big gear changes. Depending on what your suspension design does to chain length it may or may not cause more problems. You'll need to check chain length once you've got the new cassette on regardless.

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    Depends on how you sized your chain. If you went big/big plus 2 links like SRAM suggests you'll be on the edge of disaster. This is why I absolutely do not like their method, it doesn't allow for very big gear changes. Depending on what your suspension design does to chain length it may or may not cause more problems. You'll need to check chain length once you've got the new cassette on regardless.
    I did indeed go with the shorter chain length, probably the SRAM method meaning that I need to be cautious about severe cross chaining while rolling over the humps and bumps. I found that adding the two additional links (1 narrow, 1 wide) to make it longer was just too sloppy for my drive train. I guess I should blame this on the chain stay length of the frame I'm riding.

I think you're correct. I guess I'll just use the same geared cassette on both wheels sets. Thanks!

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    it's a little odd, but you could if using quick connects (sram or KMC) just use a small add on chain piece and 2 quickies. Basically size to the smaller and then make a little 2-4 link whip with the extra quick connect. Only issue is diff wear but as long as you switch out reasonably often it wont be an issue.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Get a longer RD cage?

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post

I think you're correct. I guess I'll just use the same geared cassette on both wheels sets. Thanks!
    That's a completely unnecessary compromise.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Two wheelsets, two different cassette sizes, chain length issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    I'm building a medium duty AM wheel set to use for more technical stuff when I am riding out of my area. My current XC wheel set has an 11-32 cassette on it and I'd like to mount an 11-34 cassette on the AM wheel set. Will the 2 extra teeth on the lower geared cassette (11-34) cause a short chain length concern?

For use on a FS frame with 100mm travel.
    Size the chain for the 34 and be done with it.

I swap between wheels with 11-34 and 11-28 cassettes (double front, medium cage RD) with no issues using the longer chain on the smaller cassette.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    It's a 1/2 inch pitch chain. So the extra 2 teeth should increase the circumference of the cog by 1 inch. Since the chain only wraps around about half of the cog, I figure you would need 1/2 inch more chain. I'll bet you will hardly even be able to see the difference in your chain slack.