Thread: Two Chainrings?

mtbr member
    May 2006

Two Chainrings?

Hey just wondering if anyone uses just two chainrings. I've been out of MTBing for a few years (like 8!!) and along with the magic of disk brakes someones dropped the smallest front chainring cog to 22 from 24 and increased the back from 28 to 34. I never felt i needed more than this old (24 / 28) granny combo. Any more ratio and you are quicker walking

Is anyone using a 2 chainring combo for general (not pure xc racing) maybe a 26 / 28 and a 36 / 38

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Zodiac
    Hey just wondering if anyone uses just two chainrings. I've been out of MTBing for a few years (like 8!!) and along with the magic of disk brakes someones dropped the smallest front chainring cog to 22 from 24 and increased the back from 28 to 34. I never felt i needed more than this old (24 / 28) granny combo. Any more ratio and you are quicker walking

Is anyone using a 2 chainring combo for general (not pure xc racing) maybe a 26 / 28 and a 36 / 38
    I have been using 24/34, 22/32-11/34 with a bashguard. It is nice to have the lower gears when you are riding a heavier bike, which seems to be more common these days. I also like the lower gearing for slow technical climbing. I have also found that when I drop to my 22 tooth granny gear, I can get up the hills faster than those who are walking.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

2 Chainrings w/ Bashguard

I use to run with only the granny, middle chainring and bashguard on my XT crank. I never used the big chainring at all on the trails that I rode. Also, without the big chainring, I had a little bit more clearance to ride over obstacles.