Thread: Twisty shifters

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Twisty shifters

I have seen a couple of discussions about lever vs twisties, usually with quite polarised opinions.

I would like to ask a few questions about them.

Questions:
    --Can the Sram twisty be used with Shimano front crank/derailleur (Alivio at present, or whatever)?
    - Has anybody tried the idea of having front twisty and rear lever?
    - on the Sram, I can see what looks like a lever as well as the bar twister. Is that a shift lever, to be used as an alternative, perhaps for braking situations?

Background.

My main problem with twisties (and in the Sram reviews I see even a twisty-lover agreed) is that it's hard to brake while shifting as you come down a hill in preparation for the next turn and uphill.

But I have a (cheap) bike that has twisties on it and apart from that problem I far prefer them to levers; you can select across multiple gears and I find that especially for the front derailleur, where shifting can be a bit tough, they provide far more power and spare my thumb, which does feel it from time to time.

I am far less likely to be trying to change the front cog in that sort of situation.

Any input appreciated.

Nick

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Hey Old Nick,

I just recently switched from thumb shifters to the twist grip (X9 sram). I liked the thumb shifters just fine but my knees hated them. I had the alivio derailers on my bike too...you will have to change the rear derailer to a sram to use the sram twist grips but the front will work with anything. I don't know anyone who has mixed their shifters but I have heard that lots of people have...whatever floats your boat.

At first I didn't care for the front shifter but it only took me one ride to get used to it. Now I love it! You can micro adjust the ft derailer in those situations when it rubs...no more noise. I really loved the rear shifter from the beginning. I can grab all the gears I want in one swift twist and it shifts almost instantly.

The one person that complained about shifting while trying to apply brakes has a legit complaint. That was the only thing that I noticed that I didn't care for...but, it hasn't been an issue of late...perhaps I've learned to compensate.

Anyway, I really like the way my thumbies shifted...but I like my twisties so much that I won't go back.

Hope that helps,
    Mikey

BTW, no lever on my twisties, and they will work with any crank AFAIK.
    Last edited by MikeyLikesIt; 07-29-2008 at 09:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Heh! Your knees....no! You are supposed to use the thumbs.....the _thumbs), man! ....no...actually my wife has encountered the lever with her knee during a tumble. She had a sore knee and I had a bit of straightening to do.

Where I ride (and maybe how I ride) I often find myself coming down a hill, braking and changing (usually gears but sometimes apparel depending on the hill ) to turn hard and head up another, so that was the LH / front twisty idea. If it's been done that's good.

Just a repeat question. _Is_ that a "lever alternative" on the Sram?

It may take getting used to, but then at least I won't get confused about which lever to use (and it has happened in a couple of tight spots )

Nick

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Oldnick, SRAM Attack gripshift works with Shimano derailleurs. I use them with my LX front and Alivio rear. They're great. Gripshift does not have the twist and a trigger combined. Not sure what you were looking at.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by djp2k8
    Oldnick, SRAM Attack gripshift works with Shimano derailleurs. I use them with my LX front and Alivio rear. They're great. Gripshift does not have the twist and a trigger combined. Not sure what you were looking at.
    Ok. Thanks for that. Interesting.

I am not sure what I am looking at either . But at
    http://www.mtbr.com/cat/controls/Shi...69_142crx.aspx
    in the reviews there is a picture, and it shows what _looks_ like some sort of lever.

Nick

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Old Nick...I've only 'shifted' a few times with my knees and it always makes me want to cry. My knees hate me, so I bought them the new twisties...our relationship is on the mend.

I looked at the photo you linked to...I'm not sure what you are looking at...the round thingy at the very top of the photo is where the cable comes into the shifter housing and is the cable tension adjuster, but I think what you think is a lever is the little black thingy in the middle of the round thingy... ...if so , that is simply a cover for a 'port' that allows you to change the cable without having to disassemble the whole shifter. There is no lever on the twist grips.

I was out on the trail this evening and I was trying to pay attention to the 'applying the brakes and shifting' issue. There are several sections on the trail where this can occur but it never did...and this started me to thinking that perhaps since I am familier with this trail that I am subconsiously anticipating the next move and compensating ahead of time. The only time that I really noticed the shifting/braking thing was a few weeks ago on a section of trail I'd never been on before.

Anyway, the more I use these twisties the more I like them. They are harder on gloves though.

Mikey

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyLikesIt
    Old Nick......
    I looked at the photo you linked to........where the cable comes into the shifter housing and is the cable tension adjuster, .......

I was out on the trail this evening and I was trying to pay attention to the 'applying the brakes and shifting' issue. .... The only time that I really noticed the shifting/braking thing was a few weeks ago on a section of trail I'd never been on before.

Anyway, the more I use these twisties the more I like them. They are harder on gloves though.

Mikey
    Thanks for coming back.

Ahah...the cable entry. That would be it.

I was thinking that also, since you can grab several cogs at once, you do not necessarily need to gradually change as you slow down.

Interesting about the gloves, and a good point. I use leather riggers' gloves, which are pretty tough and not that $$. So that's no biggy.

Nick