mtbr member
    Sep 2007

twist vs. trigger shifters

I'm getting ready to purchase a GF 29er.I have always had twist shifters on my mtn bikes.I don't care for for the thumb/thumb shifters but think I might like the thumb/finger shifters.(have test rode them)Befor I upgrade to xt trigger shifters,what are the pros and cons on trigger vs.twist shifters?Or is this stricktly a personel prefrence thing?Is there a reason(better) factory bikes don't come shipped with twists.I may also end up going with xo twists.Thanks for your thoughts. J

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    100% personal preference. some people on both side will try to use facts and figures to "prove" their pref. is the best. use what you like. test ride the thumb/thumb(push push) style, i didn't think i'd like them, but i did, quite a bit in fact.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Took your advise

Markf,took your advise along with an open mind and test rode a bike with x7 shifters.After 5min.on the bike they didn't seem so awkward.I liked rideing with my index finger on the brake lever and a firm grip on the bars.I would imagine after a few rides you wouldn't even think twice about shifting as it would become second nature.I would like to try maybe the X9'S .Are the levers adjustable as far as making them closer together,so you don't have to "reach"for the top shifter so much?Are guys known to file the levers shorter to avoid having to reach over the top lever or am I being a little to annal ! Thanks,J

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Yeah, you are being kind of anal. Just adjust the reach to your liking.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.