Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: A Grove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,197

    Tubular Cromoly Cranks?

    Hey all,

    I'm just a bit curious.... It seems as if everything(meaning cranks) now-adays is going to these large, clunky, heavy, aluminum hunks of metal... Other than BMX cranks.

    Assuming you aren't a rider who hucks majorly huge drops, etc. who all would be interested in a tubular cromo crankset?

  2. #2
    Re-friggin'-Lax!!!
    Reputation: WEBERTIME's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    630
    6'5" 270lbs riding a 1x9 180mm length that's a lot of torque. I've ridden all XT cranks from the M737 to current, RF Turbines, etc., I've ridden quality, stiff cranks. None were as close to my Eastern Pro's, Saints are close, but they weigh nearly the same and I can tweak my chainline more with them. I do understand your point, I'm a bit outside the norm, but we do exist.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If necessity is the mother of invention, laziness is the deadbeat dad that knocked her up.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: A Grove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,197
    Quote Originally Posted by WEBERTIME
    6'5" 270lbs riding a 1x9 180mm length that's a lot of torque. I've ridden all XT cranks from the M737 to current, RF Turbines, etc., I've ridden quality, stiff cranks. None were as close to my Eastern Pro's, Saints are close, but they weigh nearly the same and I can tweak my chainline more with them. I do understand your point, I'm a bit outside the norm, but we do exist.
    Understandable. I mean, is there a market for a lighter weight tubular crankset that wont sacrifice much stiffness?

    FYI, This is more directed at the XC/AM crowd.. If I was riding DH/FR, my saints would be the first crankset to touch the bike.

    Thanks

  4. #4
    All 26.5" all the time!
    Reputation: Zanetti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,855
    Quote Originally Posted by A Grove
    If I was riding DH/FR, my saints would be the first crankset to touch the bike.
    Uh, you must not realize that Saints are heavy and weak compared to good quality tubular Cr-Mo cranks.

    The Saint's (175mm length) weigh in at 1100g with a single ring:http://bike.shimano.com/catalog/cycl...=1194673045667

    Here's the weight of the much stronger and lighter profile (branded as Powerlite) crank arms and BB with a Ti spindle--



    ...add in a chainwheel and crank bolts, and the total weight is around 950 grams -- nearly 150 grams lighter and a much stronger setup.

  5. #5
    Thumbs Up!
    Reputation: J Ro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    752
    Quote Originally Posted by A Grove
    Hey all,

    I'm just a bit curious.... It seems as if everything(meaning cranks) now-adays is going to these large, clunky, heavy, aluminum hunks of metal... Other than BMX cranks.

    Assuming you aren't a rider who hucks majorly huge drops, etc. who all would be interested in a tubular cromo crankset?

    I guess I could use a few more sets of these works of art your dad created.


    Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


    "Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth"
    Mike Tyson

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: A Grove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,197
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanetti
    Uh, you must not realize that Saints are heavy and weak compared to good quality tubular Cr-Mo cranks.

    The Saint's (175mm length) weigh in at 1100g with a single ring:http://bike.shimano.com/catalog/cycl...=1194673045667

    Here's the weight of the much stronger and lighter profile (branded as Powerlite) crank arms and BB with a Ti spindle--



    ...add in a chainwheel and crank bolts, and the total weight is around 950 grams -- nearly 150 grams lighter and a much stronger setup.
    Saints, Weak? Have you ever heard of, or seen one break? If so, please doo post a picture, because I know people who've been riding them for a few years and they havnt even thought of giving out. I havn't seen pictures, or heard first hand of any Ti profiles giving way, but I have heard people say that on occasion, it has happened.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    548
    i've broken several profile arms when i only rode bmx and i'm not super heavy either.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: A Grove's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,197
    Quote Originally Posted by Broseph
    i've broken several profile arms when i only rode bmx and i'm not super heavy either.
    I've heard this from plenty of people... I'm just curious if there is still a market.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •