Roll on Spring Time!

trying a wipperman

i have tried sram chains and not impressed. i have never broken a chain till now, sram 991 (not cheap). i have read great things about the wipperman chains and would like to give one a try.
    at the mo i am running xt throughout and could either go for a xt or xtr chain or i am looking at the wipperman 908/920 chains. the wipperman 911 is way too expensive. which wipperman would be best for my xt setup.

cheers

banned
    Sep 2005
    I love my 920. Teflon coated FTW.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by juan pablo
    i have tried sram chains and not impressed. i have never broken a chain till now, sram 991 (not cheap). i have read great things about the wipperman chains and would like to give one a try.
    at the mo i am running xt throughout and could either go for a xt or xtr chain or i am looking at the wipperman 908/920 chains. the wipperman 911 is way too expensive. which wipperman would be best for my xt setup.

cheers
    I have the 920, great chain, not sure about the teflon. most of it has worn off and its only on the side plates, I have a 908 in the wings. the 920 has lasted longer than the past sram chains did.

Roll on Spring Time!
    thanks
    gonna order one today

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Wipperman Stainless Not So Good

I picked up a Wipperman Stainless chain a while back on a whim thinking it would weather better. Well it has held up great but it doesn't shift very well. I don't know why; perhaps it's stiffer laterally.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I use the nickel plated one for on and off road tandem use. This is the only chain that I have used so far that I have not been able to "break" pop a side plate. The model is 904. Wippermans even measure 12 inches spot on when new unlike SRAM chains that measure 1/3 worn out when new. That can't be good for expensive new cogs and rings.

Roll on Spring Time!
    i had to fix my sram so i could go ride while i wait for the new chain. well it popped a side plate again(luckily i was close to home), not a happy camper.
    cant wait for the replacement.