mtbr member

Trying to salvage a cassette...what do yo think?

So I have 2 bikes with a 3X9 setup. Both with same SRAM 9-spd chain and same SRAM 11-34 9 spd cassette:

Bike 1 - I measured the chain with my bikehand chainwear tool and it said 1.0, so i bought a new 9 speed sram chain. Put the new chain on...sure enough the bike 1 cassette skips the new chain in nearly every cog except for the bottom 2 cogs (the least used). So i believe the cassette also has to be replaced.

Bike 2 - I measured the chain with tool, and it said .75 max.. so I threw away this chain (and in process of replacing bike 2 with all new 2X10 drivetrain), but the .75 normally means cassette is still good. SO I put this .75 Bike 2 cassette as the replacement for Bike 1

Bike 1 now: (New 9spd chain with .75 bike 2 cassette) - It shifts okay 90% of the time, however top 2 biggest cogs start to skip under extreme heavy load going up the major steeps.

What do you think? Can I save this cassette????...perhaps over time the new chain will synch over time with this cassette and all is fine...or time to buy a new cassette as well for bike 1? It's the PG980 cassette and costs like $55. Just spent major coin on the new 2X10, so trying to salvage...

mtbr member
    If not too late, get the (bike 1) chain out of the trash and rejoin it with cassette 1, and either:

1. Run them both to death. Since the damage is already done, there's no urgency to replace the chain or the cassette. They (and your front drive) have all worn together, and need to stay together at this point. I'm surprised you're not having skipping issues on your front end now with the mix-and-match set-up you've assembled.

2. keep them together, but as spares, and buy a new cassette for bike 1 to use with your new chain. Likewise, rejoin old bike 2 cassette and chain and keep them as spares. Thing is, either matched set will always be questionable with the front drive in the future when you put them on. You may be saving spares for naught.

I'm thinking option 1 is the best way to go at this point, and then replace the whole drive train on bike 1 when it gets so worn you can' stand it any more, (this will be a long, long time, perhaps several k-miles*) or your budget recovers (whichever comes sooner).

*In all things mechanical, there is a tipping point when wear takes off at an exponential rate, and then you must react/replace. Just keeping the old chain clean and properly lubed will extend its life considerably.
    'Bones

mtbr member
    Yes my front chainrings don't seem to be affected. Option 2 just sounds like trouble. Option 1 revised...use my bike 2 cassette and chain on bike 1 until my bike tool measures close to 1.0.
    But again this seems I'm prolonging the inevitable, as long as my bike 1 chainrings hold up.

Time to buy another cassette.