mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Trying to place an order and looking for some derailluer and chainring guidance

Hello I am wondering if I am able to order a front derailluer that is for a 2x10 system if I am using a 22 tooth and 32 tooth with a bash guard, so not a true 2x but a 3x I converted to two.

As well the bike company told me to use a low pull direct mount derailluer and they said a S3 Sram or a Etype Shimano. This I found confusing as Shimano seems to be either direct mount or Etype not both. at the same time.

Thank you for any assistance.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mishtar View Post
    Hello I am wondering if I am able to order a front derailluer that is for a 2x10 system if I am using a 22 tooth and 32 tooth with a bash guard, so not a true 2x but a 3x I converted to two.

As well the bike company told me to use a low pull direct mount derailluer and they said a S3 Sram or a Etype Shimano. This I found confusing as Shimano seems to be either direct mount or Etype not both. at the same time.

Thank you for any assistance.
    Low direct mount is (usually) an E-type FD with the E-bracket removed.

Shimano's Direct Mount is a one-bolt high mount.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Figured it out finally, I called Shimano, it is an Etype, the company should not have called it a direct mount etype he said.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Lol nice now the only derailluer I found that would work was a M770 but the Banshee designer said that will have clearance issues.

Anyone able to tell me what a SRAm 3x9 S3 would be called? When I google that I do not get a derailluer.

Lol nice now the only derailluer I found that would work was a M770 but the Banshee designer said that will have clearance issues.

Anyone able to tell me what a SRAm 3x9 S3 would be called? When I google that I do not get a derailluer.
    Your frame has a low direct FD mount that is E-type spec when the FD's mounting bracket is removed. Shimano does not sell the E- FD without the bracket, so they will not call it direct mount (their direct mount is different) even though many frame companies mount it directly. (I feel like I am repeating myself).

The Shimano 770-E is the only shimano 3x9 version I see.

The SRAM is a low direct mount S3. Do not think there is a 3x9 version.
    They also have at least 25 versions of S3 FDs.

But you do not need a 3x or a 9-sp derailleur.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    The SRAM is a low direct mount S3. Do not think there is a 3x9 version.

The Shimano 770-E is the only shimano 3x9 version I see.

But you do not need a 3x or a 9-sp derailleur

Sorry I do not understand what you mean by I do not need a 3x or 9sp derailleur?

I am using a 3x9 crank set with the large ring off and a 9 speed derailluer so I am assuiming I still need something that is a 3x9 in the front for the right chain line.

Is that a wrong assumption?

Sorry I do not understand what you mean by I do not need a 3x or 9sp derailleur?

I am using a 3x9 crank set with the large ring off and a 9 speed derailluer so I am assuiming I still need something that is a 3x9 in the front for the right chain line.

You are wrong.
    The FD does not care what you have on the rear and there is no difference in the chainline requirements.
    (Edits made to previous reply)

Since the 770 is claimed not to work and there is no current SRAM 3x9 S3, what else are you going to use?
    mtbtires.com

Is this for the Rune you have speced in your user profile?

If so, what is wrong with the X-7 RD that is on it? Will work fine with a 2x+bash. Just need to adjust the high limit screw and you are done.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Is this for the Rune you have speced in your user profile?

If so, what is wrong with the X-7 RD that is on it? Will work fine with a 2x+bash. Just need to adjust the high limit screw and you are done.
    No it is for a Rune v2 I have sitting in a box. Last item I need is a derailleur that will work with the race face atlas 3x9 cranks with a 22/33/bash gaurd. The rear is a pg990 cassette and my older xo derailleur.