MONKEYMAN

Trying to figure out chainline for BB purchase

Hi~

The parts involved are the WI ENO cranks, WI freewheel & Phil KISS hub

From WI:
    http://www.whiteind.com/techcorner/c...tructions.html
    >For the ENO SS cranks, a 113mm BB will render a 47.5mm chain line.

From Sheldon:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chainline.html

>White Industries Freewheel Chainline (From Shoulder) : 8.73mm
    >Phil Wood K.I.S.S. Off Chainline Center to Shoulder: 45.35

The way I interpret this, you add the FW and hub to get 54.08 (lets just call it 54). If a 113mm BB produces 47.5 chainline with the cranks, then I need a 120mm BB to achieve 54 (113 + 7 = 120)

Am I figuring this out right? TIA
    “I don't like jail, they got the wrong kind of bars in there”

mtbr member
    May 2008
    The BB spindle has to protrude outboard by this much on the drive side:

54.08 - 47.5 = 6.58mm

Total length of spindle required:

113 + ( 2 x 6.58 ) = 126.16mm

You need a BB with a 126mm spindle.

However, I would still recommend that you err on the safe side and aquire the hub, freewheel and cranks first, then physically take measurements of the chainline with the freewheel installed, before ordering the appropriate length BB.

MONKEYMAN
    yep. I sent my question to both WI & PW. Both agreed that it would be a symmetrical 125mm for my setup. thanks for the input s3x!

meh....

MONKEYMAN
    Quote Originally Posted by finger51
    yep. I sent my question to both WI & PW. Both agreed that it would be a symmetrical 125mm for my setup. thanks for the input s3x!
    purchased from the LBS and installed only to discover it is WAY off. The crank is way too outboard, the chain is visibly skewed and as the crank turns the chainring makes nasty noises. ugh. such a pain.

measuring the chainline of the hub is really difficult on this wheel- it's a 48hole chukker, so the spokes (laced 4x) are very dense at the point where I'd put the tape measure.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by finger51
    purchased from the LBS and installed only to discover it is WAY off. The crank is way too outboard, the chain is visibly skewed and as the crank turns the chainring makes nasty noises. ugh. such a pain.

measuring the chainline of the hub is really difficult on this wheel- it's a 48hole chukker, so the spokes (laced 4x) are very dense at the point where I'd put the tape measure.
    I'm curious to know what sized BB you went with. I'm going for an identical hub/crank setup.
    Thanks.

MONKEYMAN
    Quote Originally Posted by hawss
    I'm curious to know what sized BB you went with. I'm going for an identical hub/crank setup.
    Thanks.
    Finally settled on a 118mm sym. The left crank has about 15mm space to the chainstay, but the chainline is spot on. The Q is a bit wide but my knees have yet to complain so I'm not going to worry about it. I've been riding it for a couple of months and the rings are all wearing evenly- no rubbing on the chain guard (I got the WI ring with the integrated guard)

On my polo pony. a.k.a. "Dark Horse"

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    For the record...all of the KISS Off hubs have a chainline of around 52mm. Info straight from Phil Wood.

For a WI Eno Crank - as best I can tell - a 115mm or 116mm spindle will give a straight chainline.

At least I hope so...I've got one on order.