mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Trying to convert to 1x8: Choosing components

My drivetrain has seen its better days, so I want to replace some parts and convert it from a 3x9 to a 1x8.
    I found a Sram PG850 8 speed cassette for $20
    I am thinking I will use my old cranks, they are in fine shape, I will just remove the chainrings and replace the middle one.

My main question comes from what to get for a rear derailer and shifter.
    I like the shimano Saint SS RD, it is solid and made for a single front chainring. I am open to other ideas for a rear derailer, I am interested in trying SRAM. I don't really care, as long as it is durable, snappy and not way to expensive.

For shifters... If I get the Shimano Saint, I need shimano shifters. I would rather not get something with a built-in brake lever, but I could.
    Obviously, if I get a SRAM RD, I need the 1:1 pull ratio in the shifter also

Where can I get some good 8 speed shifters? I don't care if they are twist shifters, as long as they are not really crappy like a lot of the lower level SRAM ones are.

I could be convinced to just go 1x9 if that would make my life a lot easier.
    What are some ideas?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Wecome to mtbr!

It's hard to find better shifters for 8sp unless you run across some used stuff on ebay. The best 8sp shifter shimano makes is the alivio. Many people are quite happy with that level, but better shifters will give cleaner, crisper shifting.

Good luck.

Former Bike Wrench
    Since you already have 9 speed, just go 1 x 9...it WOULD make life a lot easier

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks for the welcome and the information.

I went to my LBS yesterday and they said about the same thing as you did. I am leaning toward the Availo. But I may go the older shifter rout.

What is a better trigger shifter? The Sram Attack or the Shimano Availo?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    For the most part, I think the only thing that would make going 1x9 easier is the ease of getting components because I need to replace my broken shifter and worn chain, derailer and cassette. Unless there is another hurdle that I don't know about that makes the switch difficult...

MattSavage
    I'm running 8spd SRAM grip shifts with an XT Shadow Rd. It works great! SRAM also makes the Attack trigger shifters in 8spd. You can also use 9spd stuff on an 8 cassette, just set the limit screw from shifting into the last position.

You can find a lot of old XT and XTR cassttes NOS on EBay, for around 60-80 bucks. A little better quality than the 850.
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    mattsavage - What sram gripshifters are you using? Thanks for the rest of the information, that was helpful.

MattSavage
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    I just went to a single ring set-up up front, technically running 1x8 for a few days but only until I get my new cassette/shifter/medium cage der and done.
    I love mine right now though, after my LBS tech worked over (tune-up) the rest of the bike after installing the new crank set-up its great.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.