ride like you stole it
    Nov 2007

Truvativ team GXP BB question

I'm looking at upgrading to truvativ stylo crankset with the team GXP bottom bracket from an oem square taper cartridge bottom bracket and it looks like the GXP BB only comes with english threads so will I need to re-tap my BB shell or what. this might be a stupid question but I am confused.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

You shouldn't need to...

English thread is pretty much standard. Unless you've got a really old bike, or one produced in Italy, then you might have Italian thead. But it's highly unlikely. English thread is the standard for modern bikes. You won't have any problems.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

ride like you stole it
    Nov 2007
    thanks for the reply, I knew it would be a somewhat stupid question but I wouldn't know the answer now if I didn't ask

Grand Poobah
    Oct 2005
    If you are putting them on a mountain frame, then it is 99.9% certain that you have English threading.

In honor of Sheldon Brown, take a quick look at his description of BB threading:

http://sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html#threading

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

No question is stupid.....

Quote Originally Posted by spcarter
    thanks for the reply, I knew it would be a somewhat stupid question but I wouldn't know the answer now if I didn't ask
    if you truely don't know the answer. The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked. If you don't ask how you gonna learn anything?

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"