Short-Change-Hero

Truvativ Stylo Team 3.3 v. Shimano SLX M660

If you had a choice between the two which would you pick? Both weigh in about the same and cost about the same? Found a decent kit on Speedgoat for $490 that would save me some money and get me a number of things I am currently missing.

Here is what the kit has:
    * Crankset: TruVativ Stylo Team 3.3 GXP, 22-32-44t
    * Rear Derailleur: SRAM X.9, Long Cage
    * Cassette: SRAM PG-980, 11-34t
    * Chain: SRAM PC-971
    * Brakes: Avid Elixir 5 w/ 160mm rotors
    * Shifters: SRAM X.9 Trigger
    * Bottom-bracket: TruVativ GXP

And here is what I had parted out
    * Crankset: Shimano SLX M660, 22-32-44t
    * Rear Derailleur: SRAM X.9, Long Cage
    * Cassette: Shimano XT CS-M770 cassette, 11-34t
    * Chain: SRAM PC-971
    * Brakes: Hayes Stroker Trail Plain '09 w/rotors
    * Shifters: SRAM X.9 Trigger
    * Bottom-bracket: Shimano SLX

Price out difference would only be about $15 max but the SRAM stuff I would be getting would be 2009 NOS from PricePoint.

g3h6o3
    Again?

Shimano, their pinch bolt design is better than SRAM/Truvativ's.
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

Rub it............
    I'm a big Sram fan, but I went with an SLX crank over anything else.

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by PissedOffCil
    Again?
    Shimano, their pinch bolt design is better than SRAM/Truvativ's.
    Sorry did I piss in your cheerios by asking that question? I don't see a sticky explaining that Shimano's design is superior to anyone elses. So sorry that my curiosity as to why people would recommend a lower dollar crankset (i.e Shimano LX Crankset) would be considered by many to be vastly superior to those $40+ more!

Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc
    I'm a big Sram fan, but I went with an SLX crank over anything else.
    Yeah I have seen recommendations for that crankset from Jenson for $130 but I was wondering what makes it so much better than the equally prices Truvativ? From PissedOffCil's post the pinch bolt design is superior but why? What makes Shimano's items superior to others.

Unfortunately, I am trying to make this as much a budget bike as possible and while I would like to get the SLX crankset at $129 I am realistic in thinking I can only really afford about $90. Which leaves me with the LX version (older, little heavier but supposedly the same stuff as the SLX & XT) or going with something like TruVativ, Race Face, or FSA.. All of them have offerings in that range that to the untrained eye seem to be the same.
    Last edited by gregnash; 09-09-2010 at 02:52 PM.

Rub it............
    The fastening system on the left crank arm is better IME with the double pinch bolt, as opposed to the single center fastener of the Sram/Truvativ system. There is a specific procedure required to install the Sram/Truvativ cranks. The Shimano is slide the arm on, finger tighten the plastic set bolt, then torque the 2 pinch bolts to spec.

Also, I think Shimano is the best with the shifting quality on the crankset when compared to others on the market.

But this is only my opinion, but its coming from a mech at a LBS. So take it for what its worth.

Short-Change-Hero
    No that is why I am asking. If there is sound reasoning behind why something is better than another then I am all for it. I just don't do well when someone says "..geez it's better just because X" without some sort of validation behind it.. Ya know the old saying "just because there is a bridge there doesn't mean you have to jump off"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash
    No that is why I am asking. If there is sound reasoning behind why something is better than another then I am all for it. I just don't do well when someone says "..geez it's better just because X" without some sort of validation behind it.. Ya know the old saying "just because there is a bridge there doesn't mean you have to jump off"
    honestly other than a factual weight number, there is absolutely nothing but opinions for most bike components and the best you can hope for is a properly informed opinion.

frdfandc did explain the difference pretty well. Truvativ uses a single bolt into the end of the spindle that snugs up against the crank arm, much like an old square taper setup, and much like an old square taper setup these can sometimes come loose or fall out leading to permanent crank arm damage. Not that the Shimano system is immune to this problem, but by having two bolts that are perpendicular to the spindle and that pinch the arm around the spindle the likelihood is far less.

I agree on the quality of Shimano rings as well, but that can't be proved either

Short-Change-Hero
    Ok so from what I am hearing the pinch bolt design of the Shimano is better because it is less prone to loosening and the crank arm falling off. That is the kinda information that I was looking for. It wasn't frdfandc's answer that was bugging me, it was PissedOffCil that gave the more "because" based answer...

Thanks for the info guys, looks like I will be sticking with the LX/SLX cranks then!

Rub it............
    PissedoffCil is a little pissed off.

Don't worry about him. However, he is correct in saying "Again?"

Just keep in mind that those who spend a lot of time on the boards see the same 15 questions over and over again. Sometimes a little bit of use of the search feature will answer your questions instead of posting up.

mtbr member
    I have read about several people having problem with Truvativ cranks, loosening while riding. But I let my LBS install them 2 years ago and have had absolutely no problem with them. They are stiff and light. I never used the large ring, so I put a Truvativ bash guard on and it look pretty sweet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Love my Stylo 3.3 GPX. I have had it on 3 frames with over 1,000 miles on it. I have never had the bolt or an arm come loose. No creaking either. Just read the directions once and you will know what to due. Very easy. BTW the bolt will not fall out, it us used to take the crank arm off. No special tools needed for removal, just an allen wrench. I also like the positive feel of shifting on the Stylo over the no feel/no feedback of the XT I had previously.

g3h6o3
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash
    Sorry did I piss in your cheerios by asking that question? I don't see a sticky explaining that Shimano's design is superior to anyone elses. So sorry that my curiosity as to why people would recommend a lower dollar crankset (i.e Shimano LX Crankset) would be considered by many to be vastly superior to those $40+ more!
    No but this comparison comes up every week. Don't take it personally...

banned
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by frdfandc
    The fastening system on the left crank arm is better IME with the double pinch bolt, as opposed to the single center fastener of the Sram/Truvativ system. There is a specific procedure required to install the Sram/Truvativ cranks. The Shimano is slide the arm on, finger tighten the plastic set bolt, then torque the 2 pinch bolts to spec.

Also, I think Shimano is the best with the shifting quality on the crankset when compared to others on the market.

But this is only my opinion, but its coming from a mech at a LBS. So take it for what its worth.
    Actually, care to tell me why the fastening system on the Truvativ isn't as good? I've been using them since 2005 and haven't had a problem, nor is it finicky or has extra steps. Line up crank, tighten bolt. That's the procedure. Never had a loosening, either.

It also should be known that the 2 ring SLX was my first choice and sold out before I hit the trigger and I badly needed a new set then, so the Truvativ came in and worked very well now, in two years of service and 5 years on the other. The BB on the other is a bit
    loose, but otherwise, all is well.

Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    much like an old square taper setup
    There's a pile of ********. The interface doesn't work like a square taper. You haven't a clue of what you're talking about.

g3h6o3
    I've had a Stylo in the past and had the loosening left crank problem. I believe the Shimano design is superior because the pinch bolts are threaded from opposite sides and therefore loosening is highly improbable. Moreover, they are less sensitive to torque so it's easier to fix on the trail without the crank arm coming loose. Finally, because the threads are on the crank and not on the spindle, it's less expensive to replace if you strip the threads.

I simply never had or read of a problem with Shimano cranks but read and experienced many with Truvativ's.

banned
    Apr 2010
    I've never seen stripped threads on a Stylo. I'm not defending one or the other, but I will call out ********. This is trying to rationalize why you had a problem and the most likely cause was poor maintenance. If you had a loosening crank, then likely it was because you never checked your equipment and damaged it. Again, across two cranks, countless miles of extreme rough terrain, never a crank loosening.

The Shimano design is quite good, however, the Truvative design works and is an alternate. That's all. You might not like it, but don't rationalise with ********.

Rub it............
    The issue with the Truvativ/Sram stuff is if its not installed properly - sometimes requiring several installs/removals of the non drive side crank arm to get the correct torque spec and not be loose - can cause problems, usually the crank arm falling off. And actually it is like a square taper. Once it comes loose and its ridden on, then the crank arm interface gets wallowed out - like a square taper - and the crank is now a paper weight.

Granted, its usually caused by a rush job, or lack of detail on the installers part.

With the Shimano, its just about idiot proof. I did say "Just about".

Out of the 1300 bikes our store sells per year, and I've been there going on 3 years now, I've seen more issues with Truvativ & FSA cranks than Shimano. This is from personal experience as a bike mech. Not BS rationalization. EXPERIENCE.

banned
    Apr 2010
    So you're saying that when a part is installed incorrectly, it could be damaged?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    If you're on a budget, just get the LX M582 cranks on sale at Jenson's. The difference between those and the SLX are far less than Shimano would like you to know, and you gotta love that price. I have both the M582s and the SLX cranks and I don't feel that the LXs are anything lesser than my SLXs. I've also had a couple sets of Truvatives in recent years and sure as *****, the crank arm fell off of one set during a ride. Maybe they weren't installed "correctly", but if the average rider that does his own wrenching or many shop mechanics can't seem to install them correctly, than you have to consider that a design flaw. Shimano's interface is clearly superior.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

Rub it............
    Quote Originally Posted by junktrunk
    So you're saying that when a part is installed incorrectly, it could be damaged?

No, it gets damaged by PFM.

bi-winning
    I'd go with Shimano myself. I like their chainrings.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

wwg
    No Class
    I like the Shimano design and a larger variety of replacement bb's seem to be more readily available should you need one.
    Q: Who's faster than me?
    A: Just about everybody, including your oldest living relative.

banned
    Apr 2010
    That was a consideration for me, absolutely. I'm still hunting for an slx 2 ring, and since the BB is a significant portion of the crankset cost, I'm just going to move my Stylos over to the other bike instead.

However, BB options...XT BB's are pretty good, bearings can be changed easily, etc.

Short-Change-Hero
    Ok So I have been reading through the forums and online and it seems that there were some production problems with the SRAM derailleurs in 2009. Can anyone voice and opinion on whether they have 2009 items and have/have not had problems with them? Specifically the x.7/x.9 long cage rear derailleurs and shifters.

Rub it............
    I'm using 2009 X7 derailleurs without issue. Actually 2 of them on one bike due to a crash that broke one. Even the bikes that are sold through our shop with X7 stuff have not shown up with issues.

Its possible that several people have had problems with them, but it doesn't dictate that the entire line-up is flawed. Probably just a initial manufacturing flaw that has been corrected.

banned
    Apr 2010
    Two x9's, running with no issue. A third one, tweaked cage, still shifted properly when I took it off.