SkreaminQuadz

Truvativ Stylo chainring question

Hey there - just bought a Cannondale Prophet 1000 and it came witih a Truvativ Stylo crankset. It's currently a 22/32/44 chainring setup. I wanted to get larger rings and drop the big ring for a bashguard. Last night I took off the crank and put on a RaceFace 24/34/Bashring chainring setup. I installed it and the chain rubbed against the e-type front derrailer. I took it all apart and put back on the Truvativ 22/32/Bashring setup. No rubbing. I thought all chainrings were compatible? I've done this with other bikes and have never had a problem. So do I need to buy a Truvativ Stylo replacement chain ring for the upgrade? Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    sounds like you just need to adjust the derailler a bit.
    might just need to move it up a bit...
    check out parktool.com for good tips on derailler adjusting.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

SkreaminQuadz
    hey logbiter thanks for the suggestion.

I don't think it's adjustment though. The chain actully rubs against the body of the derailleur while on the granny ring. It's an e-type Shmano XT derailleur - so not your standard one, as you can see in the pic below. It seems that when I have the Truvativ rings on, there is just enough clearance between the body of the e-type and the ring so there is no rubbing. But when I put the Race Face rings on, it rubs against it. I went to Truvativ site to find info. but none was avialble. The e-type actually goes through the bottom bracet and is held onto the bike with the external bearing of the bottom bracket. Not sure I really like the set up as it minimizes options - but it's the only front der. that will fit my Prophet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hung Like a Lightswitch
    Feb 2004
    So is the Stylo you have the new version with the external bearings and the Race Face is the standard ISIS bottom bracket version? If so, that could be the issue.

SkreaminQuadz
    Quote Originally Posted by hbfrdh1
    So is the Stylo you have the new version with the external bearings and the Race Face is the standard ISIS bottom bracket version? If so, that could be the issue.
    Yes - it's on a brand new (2005) Prophet. So I'm assuming it's a newer style Stylo. Okay - so here's another, probably stupid question. What does "standard ISIS" mean?

Nightriding rules SuperModerator

I think...

that he meant tha he change the RINGS to race face rings (in a bigger size), he didn't change the BB/crank.

You could try shifting the derailleur in position a little bit if possible, or move the spacers, if any.

Cheers,
    Cris
    Last edited by crisillo; 02-07-2006 at 12:49 PM. Reason: typo

SkreaminQuadz
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    that he meant tha he change the RINGS to race face rings (in a bigger size), he didn't change the BB/crank.

You could try shifting the derailleur in position a little bit if possible, or move the spacers, if any.

Cheers,
    Cris
    Hey Cris

That's exactly right Cris. Removing the spacer between the BB and the derailleur did the trick by pulling the derailleur closer to the frame and away from the crank! Thanks for the suggestion. Part two to my problem is that now the bolts holding in the middle ring are now rubbing against the chain when it's on the granny ring. I think the rings are just designed differently. When I put the Truvativ rings on, the bolt holes are just recessed enough so that there is no rubbing. Maybe new bolts???

Quote Originally Posted by jhhall
    Hey Cris

That's exactly right Cris. Removing the spacer between the BB and the derailleur did the trick by pulling the derailleur closer to the frame and away from the crank! Thanks for the suggestion. Part two to my problem is that now the bolts holding in the middle ring are now rubbing against the chain when it's on the granny ring. I think the rings are just designed differently. When I put the Truvativ rings on, the bolt holes are just recessed enough so that there is no rubbing. Maybe new bolts???

You could try to get different size spacers. The stock ones are 2.5 mm, Shimano also makes spacers in 1.8 and 0.7mm for fine tuning. I just got me some 0.7s but the 1.8s were out-of-stock. Check bike-components.de (Hollowtech spacers) just to get you an idea. (The spacers are the same for Truvativ)

Maybe you can order these spacers are your LBS, or if new bolts do the trick, go for it!

Good luck,
    Cris

Hung Like a Lightswitch
    Feb 2004
    As it was explained to me.....even though the newer bottom brackets have a 10 point ISIS spindle (versus a square spindle), you cannot use older Truvativ ISIS cranks on the new outboard-style bottom brackets. Something about the chainline and how the cranks won't fit properly. Anyway, looks like you got the problem pretty much taken care of...cool!

Actually....

As it was explained to me.....even though the newer bottom brackets have a 10 point ISIS spindle (versus a square spindle), you cannot use older Truvativ ISIS cranks on the new outboard-style bottom brackets. Something about the chainline and how the cranks won't fit properly. Anyway, looks like you got the problem pretty much taken care of...cool!
    There is a way of using ISIS crank with an outboard bearing BB: the FSA - Platinum MegaExo BB. See pic below

Cheers,
    Cris