Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    122

    Truvativ Stylo 3x9 to 2x9

    I am thinking about dropping one of my chainring from my crankset, Truvativ Stylo 3.3. I wanted to drop the 44t ring since I rarely use them. This will make my gear setup as 2x9.

    The question is, do I simply take out the ring and put a bashguard on? and tighten the bolts? Is it that simple? Will it work without a bashguard? Thanks ahead of time.

  2. #2
    MTBR Member
    Reputation: ncfisherman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,787
    Yeah, it is that simple. You don't have to run a bashguard - the front derailleur will need to be set so you won't drop the chain. You would probably need to pick up some double chainring bolts because the triple bolts will probably bottom out before tightening everything up.

    I'll recommend BBG bashguards - solid product and solid price($18 shipped).

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: veritechy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    602
    I have your same exact setup and as ncfisherman says you might need double chainring bolts if you don't install the bashguard. Or, you can go to Lowes and get washers. If you do have the bashguard you should be ok.

    ++++1 on the BBG bashguards. Great product, nice colors, fast shipping. Lifetime guarantee on the non-weight weenie ones. I got 3 of them.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,336
    The other option to think about it a 42t ring. That's what I did on my bike (same exact crankset) and the 42t actually gets used. I have no idea why they put 44t rings on mtb bikes...

    http://www.vueltausa.com/products/ch...chainrings.htm
    whatever...

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by steadite
    The other option to think about it a 42t ring. That's what I did on my bike (same exact crankset) and the 42t actually gets used. I have no idea why they put 44t rings on mtb bikes...

    http://www.vueltausa.com/products/ch...chainrings.htm
    Will that make a lot of difference? just by losing 2t?

  6. #6
    Former Bike Wrench
    Reputation: mtnbiker72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,985
    Quote Originally Posted by veritechy
    I have your same exact setup and as ncfisherman says you might need double chainring bolts if you don't install the bashguard. Or, you can go to Lowes and get washers. If you do have the bashguard you should be ok.

    ++++1 on the BBG bashguards. Great product, nice colors, fast shipping. Lifetime guarantee on the non-weight weenie ones. I got 3 of them.
    Both a mountain triple and a road double use the same chain ring bolts...to be specific you need single ring chain ring bolts like these if your not going to run a bashguard. However, I +++++2 the BBG which will only cost a few $$ more than a new set of chain ring bolts.

    Just remove the big ring, put the BBG on, and set your front derailleur H limit screw so you don't shift off the middle ring and your set.

  7. #7
    MTBR Member
    Reputation: ncfisherman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,787
    Doubled up....

  8. #8
    MTBR Member
    Reputation: ncfisherman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,787
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    Both a mountain triple and a road double use the same chain ring bolts...
    Yeah, thanks for posting that up...wasn't thinking this morning.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chuckie33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    720
    I've been debating dropping my 44t as well and either going just double or adding a bashguard. Another option I'm considering is going from 22/32/44 to something like 24/36 and dropping my rear from 11-34 to 11-32. Relating to that, can all three rings on the Stylo be replaced that easily? Can I take off all three and put on just a 24 and 36 assuming I get the right bolts?
    If you ever see a turtle on a telephone pole, remember he had help getting there. Is there anything beer can't do?

  10. #10
    Former Bike Wrench
    Reputation: mtnbiker72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,985
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckie33
    I've been debating dropping my 44t as well and either going just double or adding a bashguard. Another option I'm considering is going from 22/32/44 to something like 24/36 and dropping my rear from 11-34 to 11-32. Relating to that, can all three rings on the Stylo be replaced that easily? Can I take off all three and put on just a 24 and 36 assuming I get the right bolts?
    Truvativ makes 24t and 36t chain rings specifically for their double cranksets. You use the same hard wear your currently using and add a bash guard.

    I don't know why you'd switch to an 11-32...you don't gain any high end and you lose low end.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bikeuphill9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    215
    I run a Stylo with 24-36 with a 11-32 cassette and haven't had any problems with it. It really depends on where and how you ride as to what gearing you run.
    I am thinking of picking up 28 and 42t rings to use on flatter cross country courses and maybe the new Sram 11-32 9spd cassette modeled after the XX.
    Does anyone out there run this kind of setup?
    "Don't take life too serious. You'll never get out alive."

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    122
    thanks for the replies guys. I decided to get a bashguard and drop the 42t ring. I will go up later to a 34 or 36 but for now the 32 will be just fine for me. I'm going to order the BBG bashguard.

  13. #13
    Uncle
    Reputation: Entrenador's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,708

    Derailleur limit screw adjustment

    You'll probably want to turn your "H" high FD travel limit screw in a bunch as well. This will prevent your thumb/shifter/FD from allowing the chain to roll over your bash guard if you ever accidentally try to shift up to the missing big ring. Probably don't have to do this, but I'm a stickler for details. Also, not a bad idea if you ever let someone else ride it.
    Eat, ride, eat, rest, repeat.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 123ski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    482
    Hey Guys. I am also running a Truavitv Stylo 22 / 32 / 44T. This thread has been really useful. I am wondering if anyone here has dropped their 44T (in place for a bashguard), dropped the 32T and upgraded to a 36T, and installed a chainguide (like blackspire stinger)?

    Which bashguard and 36T chainring did you use?

    I am in Utah. I ride uphill so I want to keep the 22T on, but I ride even more DH on this bike. I rarely use the 44T and it is so chewed up that it is actually ruining my chain. I know that I could just drop it and put a bashguard on, or even replace that chainring, but if I am not using it much, what is the point. Now, what I am worried about is that I don't feel like the 32T is big enough (which is why I sometimes do use the 44T, I am forced to). I am thinking putting the 36T on there will give me the extra power I need on DH without having ot use a big ring.

    I am using 11-34T on the back.

  15. #15
    Rub it............
    Reputation: frdfandc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,769
    I did this change on my SLX crank on my 29er. Ditched the 22/32/44 and installed a 26/36/Bash. Its combined with an 11-34. Feels good on the street, haven't been able to hit the trails (too muddy).

    36/22 should not be a problem with shifting, many are running this combo without issue. Try it and see how it works. Or maybe going to a 24/36 combo might be what you need.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 123ski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    482
    good advice, thanks. I will put a 36T on and see how that feels, if I feel like the gap is too big I will take it to 24/36. I'll let you know how it works. Where do you guys normally buy your chainrings?

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    9
    Hello, pardon the thread jack, but I didn't want to start a whole new thread for almost the same exact question. Is it possible to use the Truvativ Stylo 3.3 as a 1x9? Can I just ditch the 44t and the 22t and get the proper chainring bolts?

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    122
    Yes, you just have to get the proper bolts for it. I recommend 32+chain guard.

    Quote Originally Posted by jeremyhcd
    Hello, pardon the thread jack, but I didn't want to start a whole new thread for almost the same exact question. Is it possible to use the Truvativ Stylo 3.3 as a 1x9? Can I just ditch the 44t and the 22t and get the proper chainring bolts?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •